Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archer the worst captain?

• 17-01-2005 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Well in my opinion archer is the worst captain overall in the star trek series. Each captain had something intersting about them but Archer just seems to lack that little something special that makes a cool captain. I wonder if its down to just bad writing and the creation of a poor charecter lacking any charisma or flair, or is it simply a case of poor acting?

In descending order my fav captains are..

Picard >> Sisko >> Janeway >> Kirk >> Archer

who is the worst captain in your opinion? and why?

Who is the worst captain in the star trek series? 29 votes

Kirk
    0%
    Picard
    13%
    PraetorianJusticetheMACnorbert64 4 votes
    Sisko
    6%
    LastIrishMonkeytoiletduck 2 votes
    Janeway
    13%
    NeoSlicerZNocturnalDonkey[Deleted User]murfie 4 votes
    Archer
    65%
    StevenD-GenerateThorbarkonekojhegartyradiospankrattapopovmacronotCactus ColbizmarkdangermanRound CableDavey DevilJohnny Stormtj-music.comtrekkypjrichie.cLochaberDude111 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

wooo tough one to call... frankly they all suck except Picard, he rocks.

Sisko can't show emotion
    Janeway shows too much
    Kirk... prime what now!?
    Archer, he's just silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Archer
    Jainway annoying voice annoying "my family" attiude annoying mental and moral problems one moment she will be blowing on about federation law the next she will be quite happly brakeing it for "her family" oh and shes a crap actor to boot

f*ck off tbh

Sisko-Picard (joint first) -archer - Kirk- jainway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

hey lastirishmonkey - why did u rate picard as the worst? not challenging you or anything but just wondering why you feel he is the worst of them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Archer by far. C level actor at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Miles wrote:
    Archer by far. C level actor at best.
    Go watch some Quantom Leep.

The character may not be great, but the actor certainly isn't the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kirk was my most hated before Archer came along. At least Kirk inspired feelings in me, even if they were negative. Whether it's the character or the actor, Archer is just such a clone of Commander Sinclair (Michael O'Hare) from Babylon 5. (And for those of you who haven't seen Season 1 of Babylon5, that's a bad thing, a very bad thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Archer
    I can't make up my mind which is worse - Janeway or Archer. I voted for Janeway just to add some balance. I think I was more disappointed in her.
    In fairness, I agree with earlier poster that it is the bad writing and lack of vision in the creative side of things that make these charactors seem bad. Whatshisname seemed to be quite OK in Quantum Leap.

Janeway
    Archerr's good. He is a great actor! In my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Picard
    Voted Kirk to even up the polls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Archer
    Archer lacks personality, he reminds me of Data... complete indifference to the situations he's in. Any limited emotional response he shows is mechanical and wooden. Even worse than Janeway for this.

Sisco is the best imho. He's the most naturally acting captain of the lot; his responses to situations are usually convinving (tho not always); Picard is good in this respect too but tends to be too bombastic and smugly superior.

Kirk is, well, Kirk. Too brash, too much action-hero for my taste, though in the movies he's a LOT better. I tend to differentiate between TOS episodes and TOS movies as he acts in them very differently.

So, my list, best to worst.

Best
    Sisco
    Picard
    Kirk (Movies)
    Janeway
    Kirk (Series)
    Archer (worst by far)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Archer
    ... never send an ape to do a mens job - even though this is from another movie in my opinion Janeway is the most horrible captain of all star trek related series.

Not because she is a woman, just to get that straight, its because she had no authority whatsoever. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Archer
    Voted for Janeway, mainly because I don't like voyager, haven't seen enough of enterprise to form an opinion on him, but, how could anbody ever vote against sam!!!! ....

and Sisco is the best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be.

fact

I'd also go for Sisko as the best. Always liked him. But as I watch more and more of the repeats of TNG I find myself liking Picard more too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Janeway
    ARGH!!, voted wrongly, thought it was a poll for the best captain... doh, Sisko > Picard > Kird > Archer > Janeway. Always hated Janeway and her bloody morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Pff, If you want a real captain watch BattleStar Galactica :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Archer
    Bsg fans the new nutter fanboy star wars fans of the sci fi world :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

what about Pike??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Archer
    ... alias Jeffrey Hunter! Well, I never understood why they did a re-cast after the pilot. I´d say that Hunter was way more skilled acting wise then Shatner. So, he would have been perhaps 2nd to Picard or something.

Are you serious? The pilot had the worst acting I've ever seen in my life. God no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Archer
    It's tight at the top. Kirk was bad, but that's because the acting and the scripts for the series (and every second movie) were terrible. Janeway is the only one that actively annoys me regardless of setting. She was even the worst part of Nemesis :/

Picard is the shiznat!

sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What has everyone got against Janeway? Sure she's nowhere near as good as Picard (who btw because very much a "family man" in Insurrection and especially Nemesis) or Sisko, but there's no way she's as bad as Archer - having watched 3 seasons of Enterprise now, I still can't feel any connection to the characters.. probably because it's the "Archer, Trip & T'Pol show featuring Dr. Phlox" most times).

So... best to worst:

1. Sisko
    2. Picard (and it wasn't easy deciding between the 2 but DS9 was more character driven than TNG so that's probably why).
    3. Movie-era Admiral/Captain Kirk (like someone said, the TOS era Kirk was almost a completely different character).
    4. Janeway
    5. Archer (another year of wooden acting - oh boy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

Picard
    umm thats tough Question.

i like archer, he is a great actor, as talented an actor as sisko. picard, probably my favourite, tho i think as a character picard was more one dimentional i felt, untill nemisis and innsurection. janeway is ok, but one thing for sure, she handled the techo babble well :). kirk is more difficult to quantify, in some ways he was the most human of the captains (appart from archer, mabye)
    but here goes

best
    picard
    sisko
    archer
    janeway/kirk.

hard toi choose between kirk and janeway.

Advertisement