Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper S

Options
  • 18-01-2005 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of the Cooper S. I'm thinking of changing my A3, but I'd also like to keep my Ignition so a 1.6 would be on the cards. From what I can see this 1.6 pushes out 163bhp and does 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, more than respectable, but what's the car like for reliability and things like cabin and boot space (which in the A3 ain't great).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hang on - asking about boot space in a Mini probably has an obvious answer. How about the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Drove a friend's Cooper alright but not the Cooper S. The Cooper S is higher tunned version of the same car.

Lovely car to drive, was surprised at how nippy it was for 1.6. Car is well put together but the options list is endless and will cost you a fortune to bring it up to the spec of other cars (typical BMW). Even a cd player costs extra. Room wise, forget about it, the seats in the rear are a joke, not even a toddler would be comfortable and if the driver is 6 ft or over then the front seat needs to be pushed back. Also the boot is tiny and will not even hold a set of golf clubs.

If you need space then my advice is to look at something else.

But the other side of the coin is that because they are in such high demand and supply is low, used values are strong and depreciation is very low.

Not sure about the insurance though as the Cooper S is probably classed as a hot hatch here irrespective of the size of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The only experience I had of a cooper s was one day going up the naas rd with the wick lit, a cooper s overtook me so they're quick. But I have to say that charger makes one awful noise. Sounded like a noisy fridge. I really would advise listening to one at full pelt before buying. Though it coulda bee'n faulty too I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pretty much what bazz26 says, it's a great wee car
    bazz26 wrote:
    the options list is endless and will cost you a fortune to bring it up to the spec of other cars (typical BMW)

The option liss is long and expensive, but as the reference to typical BMW:

1. Most cars sold in the ROI had / have minimum spec, to keep the VRT down. I.e. it's cheaper to have something fitted after you take delivery of your new motor because it would be VRT exempt

2. BMW have recently taken over the distribution of their cars in the ROI and handle it themselves now. This means UK spec = ROI spec. Needless to say that UK spec cars in general have about the highest standard spec in Europe

The point was very valid in the past though, with my previous car, a '94 530iA V8 (originally Irish) not even having basics like leather, aircon or an airbag :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A petrol head mate of mine from Naas bought one new last year - I'm still trying to get the smile off my face !!! :eek: He got the Chilli pack - 17" run flat wheels and a Supercharger, traction control and all sorts of gadgets. They're thirsty beasts by the way.

A word on the traction control - turn it off !!! Recently I left him for dust in my 156 2.0 Alfa because the road was wet with puddles the TC stopped him from flooring it !!

My only complaint is the Flash Gordon style indicator stalks - naff !! Other than that it's positivly rock solid on the road and seriously quick. Be carefull if you have a GF/wife - with the smile on your face permanently she may think you're up to something ;)

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

If your looking for a fast reliable car with good room in it go for a Honda civic Type-R, they are an amazing car, there about the same price as a cooper s but faster, better handling and are n/a so no expensive supercharger to get fixed.

http://www.topgear.com/jsp/individualRoadTest.jsp?carType=new&mCode=B5&rCode=A1&mDesc=Honda&rDesc=Civic&roadTestNumber=35.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Jason Dawe reviewed used Coopers in last weeks Sunday Times and has nothing but good to say about them. No boot space or back seat room is an issue but on a car called 'Mini' what do you expect. Did the 50,000 mile servicing deal apply here too, as it is transferrable and would make ownership much cheaper for a while? I have only driven the Cooper and not the S but would rate it very highly for taut handling, good feedback and a comfortable ride - avoid the 17" wheels unless you want your teeth shaken out.

I'd probably buy the Civic Type-R if I had the choice, but I don't so I'll stop now...

'c

Advertisement