Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are O2 fobbing me off?

Options
  • 18-01-2005 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

I bought my girlfriend a Samsung e700 sim free from the uk for Christmas. She loves it. I've been onto O2 and had the settings for MMS sent to the phone countless times at this stage and it doesn't work - the phone seems to know it's got a MMS messag but it comes up with a network error when it tries to retrieve the message.

I rang O2 and they told me that because the phone was bought in the UK the software is customised for UK networks and will not work over here. I bought this phone sim-free! It came in a sealed box from the manufacturer! Surely they're taking the mick!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, ask them to remove and reapply MMS capability (re-provision) for the account - talking to the people on 1740 rather than regular support - a SIM free handset shouldn't have any network settings configured 'out of the box'

also try the SIM in another handset to see if you can to see if you can generate the same error (or not)... plus popping into an O2 store with the issue might be worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tosher

What IP port are you using, had a similar problem, different handset though, as you didn't get it from O2 may have slightly different settings. You should be using port 9201 for MMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I have problems with a N-Gage QD MMS.

The GPRS is fine but the MMS won't work either have tried settings from the O2 Website, O2 Customer Care and Nokia.

Tried ammending the Proxy Server and Port Settings as Nokia Advised but alas nothing anyone else had this issue ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

Unfortunately, my gf has the phone so I can't be checking port numbers etc right away. I wonder if anyone else has got a Samsung E700 to work on 02. I'll probably get it off her later in the week and check out all the settings then. Will keep ye posted, thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I bought a second-hand (ex-O2UK) e700 on eBay last week. It had been unlocked before it was sold, but it works perfectly with O2 here. The old O2UK settings were still on the phone, but when I sent the MMS settings from the site they overwrote them.

I would have thought sim-free wouldn't have needed to be unlocked, but maybe it does. Seems daft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement