Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting alloys on my Focus

Options
  • 18-01-2005 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I got a set of the Focus Zetec alloys for my car (a Focus suprisingly) and now I want to put them on.

Whats the best way to go about it? Could I do it myself? Or should I go to Kwik-Fit or the local Ford garage to get it done properly?

I dont really have a clue to be honest, my fear of putting them on myself would be I dont balance them or do it properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Be carefull here, the Focus Zetec had 15" alloys with low profile tyres, the ordinary Focus LX/Freedom model only had 14" rims. Did you get tyres with the Zetec alloys?

Otherwise you may need to buy tyres also as the ones on your Focus will not fit. The size should be written on the wall of the tyres. If you are not sure then best bring it to Kwik-Fit or similar and have them take a look. More than likely they will need to be balanced anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I am presuming You got them with tyres on. If your not used to working on cars, jacking them up and changing wheels has some safety considerations. You may also need some plastic rings possibly called " collets " someone on here may know more about this and advise you. Wheel nuts for alloys may differ than the nuts on your car. depth of thread lenght on mounting studs/bolts is of huge safety concern. As mentioned before balancing is a concern too. If Your not confident go to a wheel shop. I find some open on Sunday mornings, and price is er negotiable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alloy wheels are softer than normal steel rims. Therefore, they are more susceptable to cracking or damage if overtightened and nuts should be tightened to the correct torque. Therefore I would not let Kwik Fit or anyone else tighten nuts! Get a torque wrench and DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Thanks lads, I got them off a mate so if they dont fit I can give em back.

My car is the LX model so Id be disappointed if they dont fit. They are the 15" Zetec ones alright.

So what do people think is the best idea? Should I go to a Ford garage to get it done seeing as they will prob know the deal as regards size etc? I think I need to get those "collets" too, my mate said something to me about special screw things you need to tighten them, so I presume thats them.

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

I doubt youd need spacers for the 15's they should just go straight on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

So what do people think is the best idea? Should I go to a Ford garage to get it done seeing as they will prob know the deal as regards size etc? I think I need to get those "collets" too, my mate said something to me about special screw things you need to tighten them, so I presume thats them.

Cheers folks.

If you know how to change a wheel then just repeat the process four times. These will go on without difficulty and you don't need to worry about balancing them unless the tyres have been disturbed. You dont need collets or spacers unless the wheels are extra wide and if you tighten them as normal with a wheel brace and check them all again after a few miles/days they will be fine. After you have fitted the four wheels, take the car for a short spin and check for scraping, then put three mates in the back and repeat the process. If there is no noise and the car feels ok, make a cup of tea and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

If at 55-65mph there is vibration or juddering through the steering wheel, get the front wheels balanced, but I bet they'll be fine if they came off your mates car.

One final thing - check for rotation direction arrows on the tyres and try to put them on the right side of the car. Put the least worn tyres on the front to maximise grip and braking. If you find anything that doesn't look right, stop and put the old wheels and bring it to a tyre shop. They usually charge @ €5 a wheel to fit.

'c

Sorry collets, wrong name I meant hubrings. I musta bee'n thinking of something else. Some types of alloys are hub centred, not nut centred. It is essential in these cases you use hubrings or else vibrations will occur that balancing will not cure. I had the experience of having wheels changed in a tyre shop. nuts were supplied with the new wheels. A day later I got a puncture, I was horrified to find the nuts only registered about 3 threads grip. In fairness I guess the guy used an air tool which gave him little feel. It was then I learned of bowl and cone recess wheel mounts. Sometime things are not as simple as they seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Thanks everybody. Going to get them put on tomorrow I havnt hada a chance to all week.

Excellent, nothing improves the look of a car than a good set of alloys.

Advertisement