Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect my other PC via Ethernet to NTL

• 18-01-2005 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I have what is probably (hopefully) a simple problem, but google has betrayed me, and I need some human advice!

I'm currently connected to NTL via Ethernet on my laptop, but I can't connect my desktop via ethernet to the modem for some reason. All I'm doing is popping the network cable from the modem into the ethernet card on the desktop. Previously I had a DSL router which worked fine via ethernet on the desktop.

When I plug the network cable in, a little message bubble pops up to inform me that the network is connected at 100Mbps, which seems like a good start. From a DOS prompt, I can't ping anything, and ipconfig /renew just hangs on me. I tried disabling my firewall too, and the XP ICF firewall for good measure. I'm using XP Pro.

Basically I just need a simple checklist of things to check! I'm at my wits end, especially cos I know it's something dead simple :)

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

NTL tie your connection to a specific MAC address afaik. I'm not sure how you get it to change, but you could always change your desktop MAC address to be the same as the laptop MAC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Thanks MrPink, I had just spotted that on another forum, that does indeed seem to be the problem. I'll pick up a router in the morning, but just for the craic I'll try changing the MAC address to see if it works right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yes indeed it did work! To change the address, I right clicked on the network contoller, hit configure, then the advanced tab, and there's a jobby there called 'Network Adress' that allows you to input the same 12 digit address that comes up with ipconfig /all from the laptop....

Ahh the satisfaction of it all...

Ta for the help,

Robbie

Advertisement