Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else trying to get a Canadian Visa this morning?

• 18-01-2005 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Been online since 7:55 and there's still no sign of the application form!!!

Typical. 8am me eye.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yep trying to get one to, the site is broken or something!
    you think they could get the the main thing , like the opening time correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I dunno who Im more angry at, them for f*cking it up, or me for believing them and getting out of bed this early LIKE A FOOL!!!

OK its's up now. I've registered. My reference number is in the thousands though. Hope that isn't a sign of my place in the line!!

well my application went thru so hopefully i'll be goin to canada! :) i'm in the thousands too, but maybe they just started at high number , i'm 557X, what are you?

Yeah here's hopin to that alright. I'm around the same as you, maybe 10 or so off. <bites nails>

• Advertisement

A friend of mine just made a good point that perhaps the digit "5" is somethin to do with the year? Which means I'm only applicant# five hundered and somethin!!

well thats a good sign , because they i'd say they definitely take over 1000 people. I'm hoping to go to vancouver, some of my mates have got cold feet about the whole thing so I might be on my own, which isn't exactly a bad thing at all. So where you goin in canada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

wheres the site?
    wouldnt mind a visa for canadia

More than likely Toronto. (Though I REFUSE to prenounce it "tranno", like they do. No, I will be referring to it in a good hearty Dublin accent of "TARONTHO" during my stay, and if they don't understand me well then that's just too bad!)

Probably stay there for June/July then travel about. Then the ideal plan is to somehow get into the states to see an NFL game before coming back in early Sept. Probably Buffalo or Seattle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fish05

Lucky buggers ... Toronto is fantastic .. its clean safe new york! Good transport system, good night life ... everything you would want in a city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

me and 5 friends got them [i hope] but they sold out in 14mins. was real fast .hoping to go to vancover if we get them if not we can get the non student ones or just go anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

anyone know how many there was.

in was online from 7:50 but the link didnt appear till well after 8. my ref is 5585

I got a question, does the ref number mean we have defo got a visa or is it just a ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

nope but you have a very good chance if not your on the waiting list. u will get a email within 48hrs to let u know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 semisleeping

The link didn't appear for me until gone 8.30, what a joke, I had it open in about 5 windows and was constantly refreshing all of them, then when I finally did, it kept refusing my isic card number- grrr. I hate usit.

same with me, it was about that time - kept refusing my isic number but when i took the s at the start out it worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

paddyb wrote:
    anyone know how many there was.

Ah well if all else fails i'll probly still head to canada, just get an under the counter job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Wait, what's the difference between the student and non-student one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bunnicans

didnt even get on the waiting list for the visa this morning, so annoyed. went into usit to see if i was eligible for a non student visa,despite being in full time third level education. thought i mite chance my arm but i was met wit a resounding "no your not eligible".anyone know if i can still get it or are they just saying that to be mean and make me cry??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Jamie8292

I was up at 7.20, online at 7.30.... visas weren't released until 8.30am.... twas pretty nerve-wracking, had both Mozilla & Internet Explorer browsers open, refreshing both roughly every 30 seconds!

My ref number is 556X. Most of my friends (there are 9 of us going) are 56XX. One is 57XX.

Our theory is that the ref numbers start at either 5000 or 5500. If it's 5000, it means my friend who's 57XX won't be getting one as there were only 700 released. His only hope will be the waiting list.

However, I really think that it started at 5500, because I registered absolutely instantly. I doubt very much that it went from 5000 to 556X in the time it took me to register.

Last night was almost as bad as the night before the leaving cert results... The following 48 hours are almost as bad as the night before the CAO offers.....

Anyway, fingers crossed for all!

yeah i'd say its 5500 too cause i was in there straight away and was 557X and it would be insane to think 500 people cauld register in under 2 min 75 is far more reasonable.

just checked my credit card balance and €350 has been taken off. are they charging the people on the waiting list or just the people that got them?

Well I'm in. Got an email there the other day explaining that I had until yesterday to cancel my application and still get my money back. Meant to post this sooner but stuff got in the way.

Sorry for all that didn't get in. I have done a bit of research and this site is interesting: http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_worker.htm

According to the site:

"Such a permit may normally only be issued on the basis of a temporary offer of employment that has been confirmed by a Canada Employment Centre certifying that there are no qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents available to undertake the position offered."

From what I gather there's some office in London that you can get a Visa from for around $150, but you'd need guaranteed work in Canada? I dunno.

Hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shelliestar

i got my visa, yay, was in france so i spent the morning on the phone to my brother making sure he was doing it
    i was number 624X, think i must have been one of the last, five of us got them, two on the waiting list and one didnt even get that

were planning on goin to toronto, anyone got any advice on the areas in the city, were lookin at co-op housing but i dunno what areas are the best to stay in, ie. close to centre/good transport,

also does anyone know about the waiting list, my friend is in the mid 30's on the list and we dont know if she'll get one or not, anyone know how many from the list got em last year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Got my visa and handed in my application form into USIT on Aston Quay yesterday!! :)

I'm going to Toronto with 8 mates

What part are you all heading to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 50_pennies

Superman wrote:
    well thats a good sign , because they i'd say they definitely take over 1000 people. I'm hoping to go to vancouver, some of my mates have got cold feet about the whole thing so I might be on my own, which isn't exactly a bad thing at all. So where you goin in canada?

Goto here http://www.vancouverplus.ca/portal/profile.do?profileID=836321
    Lotta young Irish people go here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Hi Folks

I moved to Toronto last June with my girlfriend on non - student visas. Some advice if you are interseted....

Toronto is a very safe place with an excellent transport system. The best places to live are along the subway or street car lines. If you go to this site, http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/ you find the maps for these lines. Probably the cheapest places to live in Toronto would be Little Italy, Danthfort Ave (Greektown), and around the university. All of these areas are on sub and street car line. You'll find good deals in high rise apartment blocks, which are safe, clean, well run and have good facilities like gyms, parking and swimming pools. These are scattered everywhere around the city. You should shop around as some offer good deals like first month free etc. You have to sort out your own furniture which can be a bit of a pain. But stuff like that is dirt cheap over here. IKEAs are all over offering cheap decent furniture. Also check out this site www.craigslist.org - You can get cheap stuff from here, aswell as job postings, accomodation etc.

Toronto is also a good spot to make money. I work in graphic design and find the salaries are twice as much as in Ireland. My girlfriend works as a waitress and make about $200 dollars a night in tips alone! And thats the norm. But the downside is that things can be pricey. For example a pint of beer will cost you about $5 - 6 dollars plus a tip on top of that. Another annoying thing is that, they dont include tax on price tags etc - they tot this up when you're paying at the till. So bare that in mind.

Toronto is a good laugh for pubs, concerts, (check out www.toronto.com) games etc but personally I find some Torontonites(?) kinda boring and uptight and a little hard to connect with. I wish that I had choosen Vancouver or Montreal as the people there are really chilled out. But thats my own opinion.

Hope this helps

J

• Advertisement

GST :( Sucks.

Vancouvers a nice city. People are kind of to themselves. Main street, West Broadway, Kits, Point Grey, Downtown are the best places to meet freindly people. Check this virtual tour out.

http://www.virtuallyvancouver.com/indextour.html

Advertisement