Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n/m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Yaw...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

carrie.... class film!

i bought one of them creataive zen mp3 players today. deadly little thing it is. i'd recomend one to everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

iRivers are better. :p

/me waits for Cormie to pop up and plug them

cry me a i-river will ya?

having used both, i am slightly leaning towards the creataive's. cant stand them i-pods....

cry me a i-river will ya?

having used both, i am slightly leaning towards the creataive's. cant stand them i-pods....
    But my iRiver plays photos! And has a radio! And it plays videos too! All for the same price as an iPod, wouldja credit that like!

• Advertisement

i'm lissening to the chemical brothers right now on my zen.....

i just cant stand I-pods.... dont know why.....

i'm lissening to the chemical brothers right now on my zen.....

i just cant stand I-pods.... dont know why.....
    Because they're overpriced underfeatured flavour-of-the-minute fashion trash marketed by a failing elitist company with a stupid business model?

perhaps.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Pet wrote:
    Because they're overpriced underfeatured flavour-of-the-minute fashion trash marketed by a failing elitist company with a stupid business model?
    thats an interesting and yet completely untrue statement. If you had bothered to check out any of those u might have noticed that apple is probally in its best financial state for 10 years.

And as for features, it plays music, wtf do u want it to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

what else do you want it to do?

make pretty slim blondes want to sleep with you is one.

everyone knows who has an iriver that they are absolute babe magnets. and by babe magnets i mean they play mp3s.

• Advertisement

If you had bothered to check out any of those u might have noticed that apple is probally in its best financial state for 10 years.

That's only one hole you poked, and you didn't poke it well. The iPod division of apple may be doing well, but its computer sales were falling so rapidly they had to invent that minimac contraption. The iPod is its lifeline.
    As for the rest of the points; they still stand.

Pet wrote:
    That's only one hole you poked, and you didn't poke it well. The iPod division of apple may be doing well, but its computer sales were falling so rapidly they had to invent that minimac contraption. The iPod is its lifeline.
    As for the rest of the points; they still stand.
    you had no other points, you said features i asked what features you could possibly want a music player to have other than playing music...it seems a bit stupid

As for your comment about their financial state, i love the way you've no clue what your on about.
    chart_index.asp?chart=advanced&user_id=123456789&symbol0=AAPL.A&symbol1=.IXIC&display=CANDLESTICK&grid=BOTH&width=0&frequency=1week&height=0&duration=5year&indicator0=Volume
    Here we look at apples stock price vs the nasdaq...hrmm that looks like a company in a terrible state!

As for apple's computer sales,
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple13jan13,0,439132.story?coll=la-home-business
    Although strong holiday demand for iPods led Apple's performance, the company said sales of its iMac desktop computers nearly doubled
    o yes falling away and in a terrible state?

And as for the mac mini, it was released as a cheap way for people with pc's wanting to move over to mac land, grab more of the pc market share. Not because sales were crap but just a smart move to grab some of the entry level pc market away.(On average mac's are much more expensive, although with their RISC Power4/5 processors manufactured by IBM make them much more powerfull.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Still prefer a good discman to be honest, better sound through decent headphones. Even high bitrate mp3's sound a bit flat to me. Granted through in-ear headphones you wouldn't notice but I don't use in-ear headphones. Plus when you buy a new cd you don't have to wait until you go home and put it through your computer to listen to it. And yes I'm willing to carry around a load of cd's (my discman also plays mp3's so if I'm travelling I only need two or three cd's full of mp3's). On a trip home from France I only had hand luggage and it consisted of one book, passport, hat and 30 cd's.

John2 wrote:
    Still prefer a good discman to be honest, better sound through decent headphones. Even high bitrate mp3's sound a bit flat to me. Granted through in-ear headphones you wouldn't notice but I don't use in-ear headphones. Plus when you buy a new cd you don't have to wait until you go home and put it through your computer to listen to it. And yes I'm willing to carry around a load of cd's (my discman also plays mp3's so if I'm travelling I only need two or three cd's full of mp3's). On a trip home from France I only had hand luggage and it consisted of one book, passport, hat and 30 cd's.
    can understand that, mp3's are a far from perfect format, being replaced by ACC's and stuff now, i like my dvd audio disc's now...thats quality... crystal clear 5.1 music...may sound OTT but does sound well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Don't have a 5.1 system but the SACD's you can get now are sexual in quality. Even through a normal hifi you can hear a massive difference. Although still have a very soft spot in my heart for vinyl. Greater sound range than cd and the ritualistic aspect of taking it out of the sleeve and playing it *sigh*

John2 wrote:
    Don't have a 5.1 system but the SACD's you can get now are sexual in quality. Even through a normal hifi you can hear a massive difference. Although still have a very soft spot in my heart for vinyl. Greater sound range than cd and the ritualistic aspect of taking it out of the sleeve and playing it *sigh*
    yeah, tho i dunno how they will stand up against the arrival of audio dvd's and probally bluray ones aswell.... have a 7.1 system at home with hardware upmixing from 5.1, makes stuff sound rather cool :)

and as what you were saying about in-ear headphones earlier, yeah i much rather the sound quality off my sony head band type ones....(used the ones that came with my ipod for an entire 30secs i'd say ;) )

i prefer my personal cassette player with, recorded from the radio mixes of crash test dummies.

so i was just think recently about what's the best format for music. my brother is moving to another country and he is taking his/out cds with him. i was considering ripping them all to mp3, like 198 or whatever bitrate close to that. but then i was considering acc cos he uses linux and it seemed handier. then i tried reading up about ogg. it's not all that many cds. maybe 50. so i was then considering copying them all to new cds. i;m wondering if i'll lost lots of quality going from cd to cd? also, the cds will be cheap generic discs. questions, questions, desisions, desisions. i might just rip to mp3 and if this format becomes obsolete in 3 years i'll just break down and cry.

so i was just think recently about what's the best format for music. my brother is moving to another country and he is taking his/out cds with him. i was considering ripping them all to mp3, like 198 or whatever bitrate close to that. but then i was considering acc cos he uses linux and it seemed handier. then i tried reading up about ogg. it's not all that many cds. maybe 50. so i was then considering copying them all to new cds. i;m wondering if i'll lost lots of quality going from cd to cd? also, the cds will be cheap generic discs. questions, questions, desisions, desisions. i might just rip to mp3 and if this format becomes obsolete in 3 years i'll just break down and cry.
    hrmm this fourm is going well nerdy of late.
    Anyway if you are more likely to use a cd copy it directly, you won't lose any quality per say, the only risk is that the new cdr will get scratched as they are more prone to it than commercial cd's.

And as for formats being obsolete you can always re-encode, easily done since mp3's arn't an encrypted format, as for oog i've heard good things about them of late but for the moment my music is still 99.9% mp3's....

if hard disk space wasn't an issue would one encode it to wav?

well, i just found out he's not taking his cds. i mean our cds. well i actually mean his cds. i might encodes his for him. but i probably wont. i might record them all on to tapes cos that be funny.

• Advertisement

i just reread what u said sky about obsolete format. i suppose you're right i can always convert my mp3s into formatx. but what if formatx is really brill and gives the highest quality at a small size. so if i do convert them i'll be left with inferior mp3 quality. but do i know the difference? or maybe file size won't be important. i never hear jean luc piccard or data talk about mp3s so they must be going out of fashion soon.

you had no other points, you said features i asked what features you could possibly want a music player to have other than playing music...it seems a bit stupid

Well if you're paying ~€340 for a music player, then you're obviously gonna go with the one that has more features now aren't you. And seeing as there's an iPod photo which costs even more, then there's obviously a market for a DAP that plays photos as well as music.
    As for your comment about their financial state, i love the way you've no clue what your on about.
    http://www.reuters.wallst.com/reute...dicator0=Volume
    Here we look at apples stock price vs the nasdaq...hrmm that looks like a company in a terrible state!

As for apple's computer sales,
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...a-home-business

Quote:
    Although strong holiday demand for iPods led Apple's performance, the company said sales of its iMac desktop computers nearly doubled

o yes falling away and in a terrible state?

While I admit I hadn't researched this personally, I read an article about it in the Irish Times/Independant (can't remember which) technology supplement which pretty much directly said that Apple were hanging on to the iPod for dear life, and that the mini-mac was an attempt to convert iPodders to mac-users too.

As for the other comments (about iPods being overpriced and marketed towards the fashion conscious) - they're also true. A lot of people who buy iPods don't even have enough cd's to fill 1/4 of it, they're buying into the image, because they seem to be a bit of a fashion accessory at the moment. Anyone who likes their audio quality, their features, or even their bloody hard-earned cash will opt for something a bit less frivolous.
    i just reread what u said sky about obsolete format. i suppose you're right i can always convert my mp3s into formatx. but what if formatx is really brill and gives the highest quality at a small size. so if i do convert them i'll be left with inferior mp3 quality. but do i know the difference? or maybe file size won't be important. i never hear jean luc piccard or data talk about mp3s so they must be going out of fashion soon.

Try hydrogenaudio.org, there's loads of information about different codecs for audio, both compressed (eg mp3) and lossless (flac, wav, certain oggs afaik).

if hard disk space wasn't an issue would one encode it to wav?
    no because it would take too long to buffer/load into memory, twould be major hassle..

Pet wrote:
    Well if you're paying ~€340 for a music player, then you're obviously gonna go with the one that has more features now aren't you. And seeing as there's an iPod photo which costs even more, then there's obviously a market for a DAP that plays photos as well as music.
    Since i'm on my 12th mp3 player, which have ranged in features , i can safely say i want my mp3 player to play mp3s. Nothing else. Ipods have better menu's/better designed(my zen fell apart ffs)/decent enough customer service(i hadda ring america over my pmp rio 300) and so on.... style was somewhere down around not being on my list.
    While I admit I hadn't researched this personally, I read an article about it in the Irish Times/Independant (can't remember which)
    Probally the indo, which imo is just a tabloid rag now and i wouldn't trust a single word printed on it, espically in regards technology matters.
    As for the other comments (about iPods being overpriced and marketed towards the fashion conscious) - they're also true. A lot of people who buy iPods don't even have enough cd's to fill 1/4 of it
    Fill 1/4 of it? mini ipod is 4gigs, very few players in or around the 1gig mark in storage these days for one. And overpriced? no, you get what you pay for. I wanted quality so i paid the extra what 40euro, worth it if it doesn't fall apart (ala my creative zen). And people who buy it without having swades of music usually don't have the first clue about these things anyway , and i do believe the new ipod shuffle is designed to cater for them anyway :).

i think sky is over fond of his, if i recall correctly, pink mini apple. i mentioned their inferiorty to iriver a few weeks ago and suffered the same wrath. i still think apples are for girls. but irivers, irivers are the staff bull terriers of the mp3 world. not too big, but very strong. loyal and affectionate but u need to get to know them first. not for the tame hearted or ppl new to technology/dogs.

Ipods have better menu's/better designed(my zen fell apart ffs)/decent enough customer service(i hadda ring america over my pmp rio 300) and so on.... style was somewhere down around not being on my list.

Ipods definitely have the easiest menu system I've ever used. Usability and design quality are not debatable. What's debatable is the fact that they are overpriced, and until recently customer service was dire, hence ipodsdirtysecret.com.
    And people who buy it without having swades of music usually don't have the first clue about these things anyway

That's my point! People buy these things for the image, not because they need a HDDDAP (my own acronym, natch). It's become a fashion accessory now.

i think sky is over fond of his, if i recall correctly, pink mini apple. i mentioned their inferiorty to iriver a few weeks ago and suffered the same wrath. i still think apples are for girls. but irivers, irivers are the staff bull terriers of the mp3 world. not too big, but very strong. loyal and affectionate but u need to get to know them first. not for the tame hearted or ppl new to technology/dogs.
    its blue actually.

That you did kev, because like pet you attack the ipods with no basis other than that they are 'trendy' at the moment. Heck if we barred all things trendy they wouldn't be trendy now would they and something else would be and so on so we couldn't have anything but then that would be trendy. You see the logical conflict here?

And irivers are useless, menu's are horrible , doesn't act as a native usb drive(versions i've used anyway, tho last i heard might be in a firmware upgrade) . And since u bring it up 'loyalty' my bro is anxious to get rid of his, much rathers my ipod :) .....And someone new to technology? is that how you would describe me kev?

Pet wrote:
    Ipods definitely have the easiest menu system I've ever used. Usability and design quality are not debatable. What's debatable is the fact that they are overpriced, and until recently customer service was dire, hence ipodsdirtysecret.com.
    overpriced? not really , better quality -> higher price for most things in this world, its niaeve to think it wouldn't apply to mp3 players

And as for the customer service, i like the fact i haven't required it(returned parts for all my other mp3 players varying degrees of success) , is it not better that you don't have people looking to replace stuff than having excellent customer service?(in saying that i'm aware of the fact several of the first batches of ipod mini's had battery problems)
    That's my point! People buy these things for the image, not because they need a HDDDAP (my own acronym, natch). It's become a fashion accessory now.
    They do choose them for their image, or the fact they have good product placement in many stores and so on. That they are advertised alot more than any other mp3 player...the list goes on, its regardless people want an mp3 player and if u look at the media first one u will see is the ipod. Its just good marketing.

damn it. i remember now. it is blue. i hate when i'm wrong. i wasn't trying to convince you one way of another. and actually, the trendy thing, although a good point isn't true. i have no problem with trendy things, but i have a problem with trendy things which are inferior to less trendy things.

actually, on a side note, a tangent if you will. i don't recollect skylynx, ever conceeding any type of defeat. or admiting he perhaps is wrong. or anything similar. it may be the fact he is always right, or he doesnt feel bothered admiting otherwise. interesting topic. i'll wait for pet to start a thread on it and then laugh and then cry a little while no one replies to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

OH GOD I DON'T CARE..

kids kids.. this has to be the most boring thread ever.

Advertisement