Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Alarms

Options
  • 18-01-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Anybody know anything about house alarms ?

Well I was wondering about wire free alarm systems :
    Where to get them ?
    How much they cost ?
    How they compare to wired alarm systems ?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

alxmorgan wrote:
    Hey,

Where to get them ?
    How much they cost ?

For some info:

http://www.hkc.ie/index.asp
    Wired alarms, put one in over Christmas, very pleased with it. Another major brand here is Aritech. An electrical whoelsaler should be able to sort you out with one of these - but you won't be able to get a kit, so you want to know what you need before talking to them.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Alarm_Index/index.html
    Good source for all things electrical including alarms

B&Q also do the Response range of wired and wireless alarms. Trouble is the don't have shock sensors, only magnetic contacts and PIR detectors.

In general wireless alarms are more expensive to buy, though cheaper to install. I think they're probably more expensive to run as they must use batteries - not entirely sure.

Effectiveness should be the same for wired or wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

alxmorgan wrote:
    Hey,

Where to get them ?
    How much they cost ?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Search under DIY section.....wired system preferable

t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I worked for an alarms company for 3 years and i spent probably two of those years repairing broken wireless ones.A fully wired system is what you need it may cost but saves in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Hey thanks for the feedback.

It looks like Wired is the consensus.
    But will it involve much disruption to the house as regards drilling holes etc or is it fairly straightforward ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I worked for an alarms company for 3 years and i spent probably two of those years repairing broken wireless ones.A fully wired system is what you need it may cost but saves in the long run.

Since everyone I know seems to have problems with their wired one aswell can you give more detail on why wireless gives so much trouble in comparision?

• Advertisement
Advertisement