Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which new bike to buy (short list of 3)

Options
  • 18-01-2005 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

I realise that this may be something of an open-ended question, but I figured I might ask anyway.

A mate of mine is going to spend between €800 and €1,500 on a new road / triathlon bike. He has narrowed his choices down to 3 options:

1. A Sarracons 2004 Frame (costing approx €800)
    2. A Lapierre 2005 Frame (costing approx €1,300)
    3. A Giant 2004 Frame (costing €1,500, with the possibility of negotiating down)

He wants Shimano Tiagra components, and all three options are priced to include at least this spec. There is some variation on saddle, hadlebars, wheels, etc, but he is mainly concerned about the frame.

So, notwithstanding the notion of "spend more, get more" € for € which bike appears to be the best overall value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Just been poking around the lapierre site cos I haven't heard of them.

I wouldn't suggest teh saracens frame. Lapierre? my maxim had been if they can get around the giro/tour etc then they're ok... this isn't definitely true. But if you can get it in this country I can't see why not - they look nice and in recent years standards in factories have improved build quality to teh extent where the problems frames cracking is no where near as prevalent.

Also teh extra 200 quid could be taken and used to upgrade the components. You notice a 200 quid more expensive pair of wheels way quicker than teh extra few in the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Tanks uberwolf. The Cycle superstore in Tallaght have the exclusive on lapierres - in fact once I seen a feature on Lapierres in a UK triathlon magazine, and the retail store listed as supplier was cycle superstore, complete with full +353 1 telephone number (so, I think they may have distribution rights for UK too). From talking to the guys in there there is a close relationship with the manufacturers - which is obviously good for guarantee, defects etc, but perhaps not so good if you are looking for impartial advice.

Out of curiosity - why dismisss saracens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well in this instance the frames you cite are completely different price brackets so completely different standards. Also in the past in MTBs I've heard bad things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 animal

Check this out on the Lapierre. They're not very popular in Ireland yet but I think they're new enough here.
    http://www.irishcycling.com/2004/news/art_820.shtml

Its a throw up betweem that and the Giant for me. One thing about the Giants is the top tube is sloping quite a lot. I'd recommend you try and ride one of those before buying because the geometry of the frame may not suit you. I have long legs and my knees kept hitting the handle bars when out of the saddle. It means a lot of messing with your position, different stem lengths etc. Feck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Genghis, your friend could do far better for the money he's wishing to spend. He could get an ultegra equipped bike with a carbon fork, kyserium equipe or mavic cosmos wheels for that price. If its shimano you want and you'll be doing a good few miles (you'ld want to be at that price) I would at least get a shimano 105 group. The frame aint that important, and there aren't, as such 'bad' frames out there, once you get it in the right size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You would get a 2005 Model Trek 1500, full Ultegra the whole way through, carbon fork and seat post etc..... About 1300 Euro cash price.

Advertisement