Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Connection issue - Swords

• 18-01-2005 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys,

I'm Swords based and have ADSL (Netsource provided). The service had been working well for yonks, but in the last week or so the connection has become very unreliable.

The connection goes through periods of instability where it will drop and then immediately reconnect only to drop again 30 seconds later. I also have days where the connection dies and stays down until I reboot the router.
    The problem appears to be low level, in so far as the link light on the router indicates that the link goes away. When the connection is up it's fine and it can go days at a time without problems.

I've contacted Netsource support regarding the matter and they suggested that it might be a cabling issue. But before I go embarking on a possible wild goose chase, I'd like to know if anyone here has been having similar issues or if there are alternative theories for the cause. As far as I can tell nothing has changed at my end.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah im with IoL and i have the same probelm but its not as serious. It used to be very bad and turned out spliters were not installed on all the phones.
    Every few hours i get disconnected and then i reboot my pc and the modem. So your not alone. I was told also it was told that the cables are of bad quality and its not IOLs problem. Which i never gave out about cause i dont know if it is there problem or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TonyB

All my phones (2 of them) have the microfilters installed. My worry is that the problem is down to the line. Not sure what can cause a previously working line to suddenly start dropping the ADSL link, but it's sounds like the sort of thing that would be difficult to locate and fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TonyB

To open this up a bit...

I learned from Netsource that Eircom are upgrading certain bits of kit in various exchanges. According to Netsource at least one piece of customer kit [Zyxel USB Modem] will need to be reconfigured before users can reconnect.

Certainly my Netgear DG824M was having problems reconnecting after losing a connection. I'm wondering if this is more than a coincidence. Specifically, I'm wondering if a recent change at my exchange has introduced an incompatability that might be the cause of my recent problems.

Advertisement