Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work?

Options
  • 18-01-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭

I need a SMS group service to make training and general announcements to a sports club I am involved with. I am talking about a group of say 20 people on all networks, getting a text 2-3 times a week (i.e. maybe 200-250 texts per month).

I am planning to do this using the 'free internet' text services offered by the Irish networks.

I had been with O2 and recently moved to Meteor. O2 are more attractive to me for their service as they allow you to schedule future texts (meaning I could compose texts while in work for later automatic sending).

I am keen to use a new number (not my own personal number), which would also act as a point of contact for voice messages.

I am proposing to:

1. Get an Speakeasy O2 sim, add a minimum of credit and register it for SMS, etc. This way I get my 300 (or whatever) free texts p.m.
    2. Set up a divert so that voice calls are sent to the voice mail box of my meteor phone - this way I will be notified by Meteor if someone has left me a voice mail.

I am trying to do this a 'little or no' expense - our club has no revenue, so it will be all out of my pocket.

My question is - will O2 a) cop on that the SIM is never in a phone and b) that it is primarily used for sending free messages. If they do, is there anything they can do under their 'contractof service' to terminate my SIM? Finally, do O2 have a minimum top-up amount per period before they can stop your service?

Mucho thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

As far as I know (open to correction) I don't think you can divert from Speakeasy to another network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Without knowing for sure, I'd say no. As you'll be diverting calls you will be using credit so I don't see any reason why they should care, they're getting money out of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Genghis

Cool, thanks. I went to the O2 website to find out how much an O2 SIM will cost. They offer €30 free credit - 10 upfront and 5 each month thereafter for 4 months - with each SIM purchased. What they fail to mention is the cost of the SIM pack - anyone know?

(link)

Advertisement