Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know what home heating fuel you need?

Options
  • 18-01-2005 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    how can you tell what sort of fuel you need for the central heating - there's kerosene, red diesel and others I think??? Moved into a place where there was a half tank, and now I need to fill it up - what to get?? also what sort of prices should I expect to pay?
    Cheers
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Think it is Kerosene that they generally deliver is it not??? We paid 47c per litre there yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

yop wrote:
    Think it is Kerosene that they generally deliver is it not??? We paid 47c per litre there yesterday
    Think there's all different fuels - some cleaner than others. Those trucks carry about 6 different grades of fuel apparently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"Think there's all different fuels - some cleaner than others. Those trucks carry about 6 different grades of fuel apparently."

Do they hell, educational fact for the day ;)
    Never knew, when I ring up I ask for home heating oil!! always works anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Kerosene burns cleaner and hotter, the main difference is the jet in the burner they can be changed to suit heating oil (Diesel) or Kerosene(sometimes), the reason for the different fuels is usually "Normal heating Oil" has a flue pipe because of the fumes where Kerosene can work with a balanced flue.

Kerosene is usually a little more expensive than ordinary heating oil and the color is slightly different, so tell the supplier when ordering and they will check it for you, some of the better suppliers will vent your burner if you ran out of oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

rooferPete wrote:
    Kerosene burns cleaner and hotter, the main difference is the jet in the burner they can be changed to suit heating oil (Diesel) or Kerosene(sometimes), the reason for the different fuels is usually "Normal heating Oil" has a flue pipe because of the fumes where Kerosene can work with a balanced flue.
    Also depends on where the boiler is - an external boiler more likely to be Diesel, an internal one more likely the cleaner Kerosene.

• Advertisement
Advertisement