Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A warning on the new Taxi Fare increase.

• 18-01-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Gotten two taxis so far since the increase came in and both have tried to rip me off.

Taxi 1: Puts on the extras he shouldn't and claims it is because of the fare increase and hasn't got his meter changed but is required by law to charge more. I ask him to show me the new fare card. He can't and I tell him he can't charge me unless the meter is changed and should display the new fare card. He "Lets me off".

Taxi 2: Has his meter changed. Showing the old fare card. When I get in he clicks on the meter and then adds 50 cents on as well. I asked him what is the 50 cents for. "That has always been on the fare". I ask to see the fare card, he points to the old fare card. I told him "You do know that there is no extras anymore when you get your meter changed over, which it is". "oooh your right, sorry about that force of habit. We will forget about that then". He then rambles on about how he can't get his new fare card until he gets his NCT test next week.

A friend of mine got stung on the 50 cent trick as well. So just be wary. The new fare increase is giving them enough money as it is. a 9 Euro fare is now over 10 euros.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

anywhere online were we can see these new increases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've been getting taxi's for years but never bothered to find out what i should or shuoldnt be charged. If im doing the same journey a couple of tiimes I'll keep an eye on the meter to make sure im being charged roughly the same.

My question is though, with charges and whatever the way they are now, what should be on the meter before the driver pulls off? I'm sure there a link to somewhere that has a full list of charges etc. Anyone got it handy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

3.40e if I remember correctly - my dad (who's a taxi driver) showed me the meter yesterday.
    The bloody thing is like a heartbeat now - it just keeps going ... I shudder to think what Rate2 is like :(

There should be no extras on it.

a) Additional passengers: each extra passenger (excluding infants in arms; 2 children under 10 count as one person) €0.50

I assume this means if your on your own, there should be no .50c on the meter when you start?

Was the soiling chage always €75 (or the punt equivelant)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

no soiling used to be £20, €75 is fair enough IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

still means they'll get no tip from me anyway. bloody ripoff merchants.... only use them when I *have* to use them, and/or on expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I just got one this morning.

What they've done is take the old

2.75 standard rate
    0.50 first add-on (there at start of journey).

The new starting cost is:

3.40 which is 2.75 plus the 0.50 first add-on *plus* the 0.15 price rise.

There should be *no* extra 0.50s when you start your journey, and the meter should start at 3.40.

That's it.

WHy does the meter start at €3.40? thats the minimum fare, as in if you go 19 feet and it only cost .15c then you get charged €3.40 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

the price of taxis was diabolical beforehand and now theres a RISE in prices. It take twenty minutes to get home from town in a car in the early hours of the morning and i get charged 20 quid (out to blanchardstown). At that rate they can be making 60 euro an hour,then they have the cheek to complain??
    In any other country taxis are cheap as chips and the taxi drivers are nice people. In my experience (im not generalising as I know a few taxi drivers) most taxi drivers are racist scum who will go out of their way to try and rip you off. We need more taxi's and lower prices
    [/rant]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

jeez, it's only 50c,, if you don't like it then get a bus or walk or buy a bike:)

So, the meter starts at 3.40, and it won't go up until another 2 minutes 48 seconds later, or 1 kilometre later is that it?

So a 10 minute journey, by yourself, should cost 6.20?

It's only 15 cents on your journey. It's not that much!

It just appears different cos the 0.50 initial extra is now incorporated (in order to make the price more obvious to the customer).

Actually, an 8 minute journey this morning (from Killester to work in East Point) cost me 6.10.

The rolling rate (don't know tech. term) has not changed.

The rolling rate has changed. The link I gave is incorrect I think in that regard. Clicks over 18 seconds instead of 20 seconds for rate 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Since they dereg'd the taxi industry, prices have SOARED NOT FALLEN
    as they were supposed to do. There's over 11,000 Taxis now in the city where there used to be 3,000 (I think).
    Yes, you can get a Taxi now but it costs you nearly double what
    the fare was BEFORE dereg.
    I was in favour of allowing extra taxi's into the city but having seeing what the cost has risen to over the years, I have now changed my mind.
    RIP OFF IRELAND YET AGAIN.
    What amazes me is how taxi drivers complain about how little work they have and how the earn bugger all!
    At the prices nowadays, it's all rubbish and the tax payers continue to subsidise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

GaRtH_V wrote:
    the price of taxis was diabolical beforehand and now theres a RISE in prices. It take twenty minutes to get home from town in a car in the early hours of the morning and i get charged 20 quid (out to blanchardstown). At that rate they can be making 60 euro an hour,then they have the cheek to complain??
    In any other country taxis are cheap as chips and the taxi drivers are nice people. In my experience (im not generalising as I know a few taxi drivers) most taxi drivers are racist scum who will go out of their way to try and rip you off. We need more taxi's and lower prices
    [/rant]

Get your facts straight, "most taxi drivers are racist scum who will go out of their way to try and rip you off" wrong, most fellas are strigh up guys, i know i used be be one and so did my granddad for 25 years before he died last year.

"At that rate they can be making 60 euro an hour" in theory yes, but you neglect to take travel time into account, going to Blanch and then making your way back into town EMPTY for another fair. Taxi's are not as you seem to forget driving at 200mph and so 60yoyos an hour is a complete joke,

Go out get a taxi and drive it for a month then come back more informed and make a real judgement.

The fair increase is more than fair and is about time it happened.. Ohh just in case you wonder i am not a taxi driver any longer i work in IT, reason! scumbug fairs stabbing me with needles, i was mugged 2 times and it was a waste of time and effort unless you work 24 hours a day.

Hobbes, the driver this morning told me that the rate had not changed.... he was explaining the new cost system to me (out of courtesy, not by request). So he may have been incorrect or deliberately lying (which I doubt).

I think I shall discontinue my policy of always tipping taxi drivers, they're getting enough of my cash now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i stopped tipping taxis in ireland after the debacle that was the millenium pay rise issue.
    after that, i thought they could all go and fúck themselves.

they provide a crap service, and yes, they try to take you all for a ride when they think they can, and then get arsey when you call them up on it.

BrookieD wrote:
    wrong, most fellas are strigh up guys, i know i used be be one and so did my granddad for 25 years before he died last year.

You are correct in this regard. I get lots of taxis, the number of those who have tried to rip me off (intentionally) are very very small. Just peeved getting it twice in a row. Also the majority of rip off artists tend to frequent the airport and fleece tourists/visitors then Irish people (not for the want of trying).

Another thing people don't realise is that the prices to get the meter changed has gone up by 2/3 of the original price. Government is getting serious cash off the taxi drivers. You would think the price would go down due to the large number of drivers out there (nearing 12,000 actually).

Btw, I have no problem with the fare and in general I normally round up if I know the taxi driver, as the majority tend to round down anyway. Just the ones who try to rip people off p!ss me off and give the majority a bad name.

Ps. I really wish they would clean up the fleecing at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i like taxi drivers in general, of course their are a few rascist bollicks or just simple saps, but thats true in all walks of life.

i always have a bit of crack in taxis, tell them a really outrageous made up story, the lap them up, or do the Peter Kay thing. at least then the amusement you get out of them makes the money seem even more worth it.

Question, mainly for the guys, but maybe some girls too: do you guys always sit in the passenger seat? I generally always do, but thinking about not doing so in future. Wondering what people think on this one.

Sitting in the definitely distances you from the driver in more ways than physically. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

For each additional 1/6th of a kilometer or 28 seconds or part thereof
    So are we being charged on distance or time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i always sit in the front anyway, unless someone gets there before me. i like to make my taxi trips fun, we didnt have a car when i was a kid, so i tend to get a bit childish when it comes to car trips. plus ya can change the radio in the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Trojan wrote:
    Question, mainly for the guys, but maybe some girls too: do you guys always sit in the passenger seat? I generally always do, but thinking about not doing so in future. Wondering what people think on this one.

Sitting in the definitely distances you from the driver in more ways than physically. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or what.

I always sit in the back, to try and distance myself from them :) I'm paying for a lift home not a chat on how 'they' are all coming over here taking our jobs and our women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I sit in the back as I have a tendency to fall asleep when I am traveling and I aint paying the taxi guy enough so that i can enjoy the luxury of nodding off and possible falling into his/her crotch or onto their shoulder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Back seat for me too, maybe I'm anti-social but i would rather if taxis were by default no talking zones. Its nice to have a bit of peace and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

ok i found that a fare should have been 14-16 euro at the most was 21 euro now guy said oh new taxi fare ect blah blah blah handed him loose change 17 euro worth and got out of the cab

ok i found that a fare should have been 14-16 euro at the most was 21 euro now guy said oh new taxi fare ect blah blah blah handed him loose change 17 euro worth and got out of the cab
    a bit of punctuation wouldn't go a miss. It took me a while to understand that. :)

• Advertisement

Hmmm... so cajun, you're admitting that you've just stolen 4 quid from a taxi driver because it "should have been" cheaper. Not exactly the moral high ground I fear you were searching for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

padshea2 wrote:
    Back seat for me too, maybe I'm anti-social but i would rather if taxis were by default no talking zones. Its nice to have a bit of peace and quiet.

They always find something to bend your ear about.... weather, cops, insurance, price of diesel.... price of insurance...

You'd swear they were boards members.

eirebhoy wrote:
    a bit of punctuation wouldn't go a miss. It took me a while to understand that. :)
    :p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

In general i dont have to take many taxis as i live in the city centre. The odd time I would if i was going up to camden st or something like that and the girls in the group didnt want to walk. Its not too bad in that case if there is 4 in a cab, its only a few euro each.

Taxis in New York were great. Cheap enough and there was a nice big partition between you and the driver, so if you didnt want to talk you didnt have to... I hate feeling obliged sometimes to talk to a taxi driver when i dont really want to...

If I was on my own in a taxi id always sit in the back behind the passenger seat...

Trojan wrote:
    Hmmm... so cajun, you're admitting that you've just stolen 4 quid from a taxi driver because it "should have been" cheaper. Not exactly the moral high ground I fear you were searching for...

hey there, since i get a cab 4 times a week from point a to b and the most i was ever charged (this year) was 17 euro. he tried to flog it off with its the new fares but i thought no, sorry and handed him the 17 euro. sorry my other post wasn't great i had someone on the phone at the time.. chatting on about something, but the point i was trying(badly) to make was from a certain cab firm tried to up the new fare to 21 euro when so far with the new fare its highest was 17.

hey there, since i get a cab 4 times a week from point a to b and the most i was ever charged (this year) was 17 euro. he tried to flog it off with its the new fares but i thought no, sorry and handed him the 17 euro. sorry my other post wasn't great i had someone on the phone at the time.. chatting on about something, but the point i was trying(badly) to make was from a certain cab firm tried to up the new fare to 21 euro when so far with the new fare its highest was 17.
    According to the link on the previous page the price rise only came into effect yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eirebhoy wrote:
    So are we being charged on distance or time?
    Both. This allows that if the driver is doing 120kph on the motorway, he's making €1.80 per minute out of you (on Rate 1). Whereas, if he's sitting in traffic, he's making just over 30c per minute out of you. Primarily this is to do with fuel consumption per trip. Although if you were charged purely on time, you would get raped for getting stuck in traffic. On the other hand if you were charged only by distance, a taxi driver could undertake a 2 mile journey that takes him 20 minutes in heavy traffic, and he'd be losing a lot of potential revenue.

In Dublin that's essential - in scenario a) Taxis would only operate in the city centre and/or would drive very slowly everywhere. In scenario b) it would be next to impossible to get taxis in the city centre.

Fair enough cajun, understood. Just pointing out that the new fare might well be the actual fare, and not him trying to rip you off. I was annoyed this morning about paying 6.10 for a fare that's usually 5.10ish (and normally rounded to 5 by nice drivers).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Were you taking a Hackney or a Taxi ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eirebhoy wrote:

you kinda get used to it after a while.
    a while later, you stop reading her posts anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Do they add a little extra to the fares in dublin during decembe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i liked getting taxis in dublin, i always thought they were pretty cheap, in sligo the minimum fare is 5euro or 5.80 at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭captainplanet

i dunno, i've rarely had a problem with taxi drivers, they're usually nice/frendly enough, and round the fairs down (a lot) but maybe thats cause i'm a girl?

Advertisement