Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg proposes to remove obligations from eircom for Retail Leased Lines

Options
  • 17-01-2005 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the world for uncontended leased line internet access. Which is what most multinationals go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Can you show me some statistics for how different countries compare, Blaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Moriarty wrote:
    Can you show me some statistics for how different countries compare, Blaster?

Ireland is not the most expensive country for leased lines, not least thanks to generous gov funding of international connectivity.

Detailed info in the EU Commission staff working paper of December 2004:
    sec20041535VOL2en-1.pdf from page 109 onwards. It compares a range of leased line options of all the EU countries and USA and Japan.

Download pdf http://europa.eu.int/information_society/topics/ecomm/doc/all_about/implementation_enforcement/annualreports/10threport/sec20041535VOL2en.pdf

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I haven't read the document you're linking to but I wasn't referring to international connectivity.

I based my statement on conversations with people who work in multinationals and who are/were involved in setting up internet access for various offices around the world. I don't have the specific numbers but I know Ireland is extremely expensive. The reason is primarily because Telecom Eireann increased leased line cost phenomenally to kill try to kill off Esat selling voice over leased lines. It's possible/likely there's fibre access these days that make the access costs lower, I haven't really paid too much attention to it of late and it's possible my information is out of date (but I don't think so). My point was merely that there's a lot more to the problem than just ADSL. You can't really run serious internet connectivity over ADSL, at least not at the speeds available in Ireland. With upload speeds limited to 256kbps it's fairly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

ComReg has just announced to lighten its regulative grip on high bandwidth retail leased lines, but still has designated eircom as having significant market power in low bandwidth leased lines, in need of regulation.
    P.

The ComReg press release:

"ComReg proposes to remove obligations from eircom for high bandwidth Retail Leased Lines
    The Commission for Communication Regulation (ComReg) has today published the results of its market analysis on the markets for retail and wholesale leased lines. The conclusions, which are being notified to the EU Commission and subject to the Commission’s clearance, propose to remove obligations on eircom to pre-publish prices for high bandwidth retail leased lines. Leased Lines form an important element of Ireland’s communications infrastructure. They can either directly or indirectly, support telecommunications for consumers. Retail leased lines are used by businesses for efficient voice and data communications between multiple sites in Ireland. Wholesale leased lines are used by network operators, such as mobile operators, to build out their networks to provide services to business and retail customers. ComReg has already proposed the lifting of existing restrictions on eircom for the prenotification of prices on retail international leased lines. In addition to the conclusions on the market for high bandwidth retail leased lines, ComReg’s market analysis also reviewed the level of effective competition in low bandwidth retail leased lines and in the provision of wholesale leased lines. ComReg concluded that effective competition has still not been achieved and eircom enjoys a position equivalent to dominance in these particular markets. For this reason ComReg is proposing to designate eircom as having significant market power (SMP) and puts forward proposals for appropriate regulation to be placed on eircom. The full document – ComReg 05/03 is available on the ComReg website www.comreg.ie and they can be located in the Publications section of the website."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd have to say that Leased Line cost to the TELCO's is about the cheapest but the cost they pass on to the consumer is about the dearest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96597&
    Radio Na G thius morning . 2Mb costs €100k a year in Donegal.
    €100K per year from Dublin gets you...
    A 155Mbs connection to New York !
    (it's $10,000 per month )

Page 4 of May 2003 Compuscope

And the cable runs past Donegal....

So back then a leased line to Donegal cost over 70 times a transatlantic one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The Commission for Communication Regulation (ComReg) has today published the results of its market analysis on the markets for retail and wholesale leased lines. The conclusions, which are being notified to the EU Commission and subject to the Commission's clearance, propose to remove obligations on eircom to pre-publish prices for high bandwidth retail leased lines.

Read on @ http://www.irishcomputernews.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Threads merged with Leased Line posts in Indian newspaper thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Because I define broadband as something giving me more than 128 up, I'm following the LLU stuff with some interest as Leap and Smart have seemingly both figured out that SDSL is an excellent Eircom leased line killer. Leap's SDSL uncontended pricing is seemingly going to be the same as their "wireless leased line" and they give some potential price savings on their site (that I don't have the time to dig up right now), but from menory Leap's cost is going to be about a quarter of Eircom's leased line costs. It still looks fairly pricey, about a thou a month for 2Mbps, but it's about time there's some decent competition in this part of the market. With Eircom's leased line pricing as a benchmark it's not difficult to make a lot money from LLU.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

As a side note, this article http://www.journaldunet.com/0406/040603degroupage.shtml
    ...in French... shows that Ireland is the last country in the EU for "deregulating" land lines.

280 lines completly deregulated.

1380 lines in total (partialy/completly).

And, Ireland practices the highest deregulated monthly line rental price €16.8 which is disuading any Eircom's competitor to invest as it will take much longer to recup any investment.

Advertisement