Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newark Airport to NYC

• 18-01-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Never been before. What is the easiest and cheapest (presumably rail) way to get from the airport to 48th street??

Any good pubs to recommend near 48th?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bout 2 to 3 hours drive , you be getting a bus. There a station just outside the airport.

Horrible horrible journey (altho bus stops at a Hooters just near the state line )

Kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

2 to 3 hours????

Someone told me before it was less than an hour away

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

2 to 3 hours doesn't seem right. I'm flying into Newark tomorrow and the websites seem to say 1hr, or so, by bus or 40 mins by taxi. In fact it took 40 mins by taxi for a friend before.

You sure you're not confused kdjac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Left my apartment in New york at 1.30 sat afternoon got to Newark at 4.50
    My apartment about 30 mins north of city.

Didnt stop (well only for Hooters)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

KdjaC wrote:
    Left my apartment in New york at 1.30 sat afternoon got to Newark at 4.50
    My apartment about 30 mins north of city.
    Well then why does the linked website show a journey time of 30-40mins by bus, in accordance with what else I've read and been told by people? Did you go to Newark airport or Newart? 'Coz I assume it's possible the airport is not near the town itself. All very odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

You can get a train from newark to Grand Central Station or Penn Station. It costs $12 and takes about 45 mins. Thats how I got into Manhattan from Newark when I went to New York a few months ago. More info here:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/travel/airporttravel.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

meepmeep wrote:
    You can get a train from newark to Grand Central Station or Penn Station. It costs $12 and takes about 45 mins. Thats how I got into Manhattan from Newark when I went to New York a few months ago. More info here:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/travel/airporttravel.htm

thats how i got there 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Buckfast wrote:
    Never been before. What is the easiest and cheapest (presumably rail) way to get from the airport to 48th street??

Any good pubs to recommend near 48th?

Easiest way is to go and get on the Airlink bus and take it over to Newark Penn station (About $5.00), then get the PATH train over to the city. Get off at the 33rd street stop and then you can get a cab up to 48th street.

ixoy wrote:
    Well then why does the linked website show a journey time of 30-40mins by bus, in accordance with what else I've read and been told by people? Did you go to Newark airport or Newart? 'Coz I assume it's possible the airport is not near the town itself. All very odd...

Only went there once after that drive never flew into or out of Newark again (altho drove to texas from NY) , nearly sure it was 2 to 3 hour drive from Middletown which is not far from NYC so would imagine same from the city.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

whoever said it takes 2-3 hours is definitely smoking crack... I live in New Jersey(not near Newark though, it smells too bad)... take the Path from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station, then switch to the NJ Transit to NYC-Penn Station... if it all works out, shouldn't take more than 30-45 min.... that leaves you off at 34th street... don't even leave Penn Station, but jump on the 1-9 subway(which is a RED line), that leaves you off right at 49th street)... I take the 1-9 all the time when I'm up in the city... where on 48th are you looking to be at? 48th and what? I could possibly help ya more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I took a taxi from the city to Newark and it took just over 1 hour with traffic..

I could only see it taking 3 to 4 hours if there was major traffic or if the taxi driver was taking you 'the scenic route' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

that must have cost ya a fortune for a 1 hour cab ride...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks everyone

RyanfromNJ .... its 234 West 48th Street (hope no stalkers are lookin) Best Western President Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

Took a taxi from Newark to Wall St a few months ago, there were three of us and it cost $65 which includes the toll and drivers tip, took 45 minutes direct to hotel door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Real

I made the trip only last week. When you exit the front door of arrivals in Newark Airport take the small Monorail (like Disneyland) train towards Newark Penn station. You can see the train and tracks above your head as soon as you exit. The monorail is free and well sign posted. It takes about 10 minutes to get to Newark Penn station. Go to the main ticket sales in Newark Penn station and ask for a ticket to New York Penn station. ($9.30 one way I think). Its about 30-40 minutes train ride to New York Penn station which is directly under Madison Square Garden (38th ST I think). From there its five minute cab ride up to 48th street.

I stayed in the Best Western President Hotel too. The hotel is clean and a really good price for such an excellent location. But be warned. Dont use the phone!! I didnt read the small print and a 10 minute call to New Jersey cost me $40!! Also there is a Fire Station almost directly below the hotel which can and does send sirens ringing and blasting at all hours of day and night. I used ear plugs and they worked fine.

Check out the Euro Diner around the corner for breakfast. It sells the finest waffles with maple syrup. Yum . Enjoy

Advertisement