Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansion Pipe Constantly Flowing

Options
  • 18-01-2005 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help. My expansion pipe in my central heating system is constantly flowing in the attic. When I turn on the pump seperately from the boiler it starts to flow straight away. I've tried draining the system (twice) and I've cleaned out the system using someting I bought at B&Q without any sucsess. The water still flows through the expansion pipe and into the tank in the attic with the same pressure.

I moved into the house about 4 years ago and can't say how long tins has been happening. I only noticed this last November (2 months ago).

The house is an 18 year old 3 bed semi. It is oil fired and has a back boiler in the fireplace. There is another pump connected to this that I don't think works.

I know I should get a plumber but this has gotten under my skin and besides where's the fun in that! I'm assuming I've too much back pressure buy from where? Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

I would strongly recommend that you get this problem sorted ASAP. Your heating system is being damaged as it is.

Typical symptoms of this problem (pitching) are radiators sludged up (at the bottom), rad valves leaking, radiators corroding from the inside out.

Its quite common to see this in a dual fuel heating system. If you can, disconnect the solid fuel boiler and get the heating system converted to a sealed type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Check if the two pumps are coming on at the same time, your non return valve at the back boiler may have jammed.

If your not using the back boiler you can switch off the pump but you will be heating the boiler, depending on the boiler it could equal three radiators.

So you need to get it fixed, that's your money going up the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John G

Thanks for the inputs.

I cleaned the system again, drained, filled and drained again a few times to no avail. I got a plumber and he simply turned down the pump! Cost me €99 for the privalege, still problem fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I sorted it out by bending the ballcock so there was slightly less water in the tank and therefore the level didnt reach the overflow. First thing you mush do is to pour a bottle of rust inhibitor into the tank as it will be very low in you flushed system.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

John G wrote:
    Thanks for the inputs.

I cleaned the system again, drained, filled and drained again a few times to no avail. I got a plumber and he simply turned down the pump! Cost me €99 for the privalege, still problem fixed.

Sorry I didn't see your post in time....most pumps are three speed
    t

• Advertisement
Advertisement