Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Websites not loading with Wireless connection on NTL Broadband

Options
  • 18-01-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I posted this on the wireless forum but didn't get any help.

I am connected to NTL's broadband service, I have a wireless D-Link DI-514 router and a D-Link DWL-610 wireless adaptor card in my laptop.

My problem is that every now and then a problem arrives where I can no longer access any websites, after waiting an age I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. I then have to reboot my laptop to continue browsing.
    I have reset the router settings back to the defaults and the problem still occurs. Connect the laptop directly to the modem works fine.

This is a really irritating problem as usually after every 15-20 minutes of browsing I have to reboot. It is not occuring on any particular website and there does not seem to be any pattern. It still happens if I sit the laptop right next to the router so it's not a problem with the strenght of the signal. I have also tried using both IE and Firefox.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Does it seem to be secure websites? If so, check the MTU size in the router and confirm this with your ISP. It's hard to say by the description you gave. You could also be dropping connection - Do you lose sync on your supplied modem/router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Calling O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

dlofnep wrote:
    Does it seem to be secure websites? If so, check the MTU size in the router and confirm this with your ISP. It's hard to say by the description you gave. You could also be dropping connection - Do you lose sync on your supplied modem/router?

No it's not just secure websites. How would I know if I am dropping connection? To resolve the problem I don't have to reset the modem or router, I just have to reboot the laptop. All of the correct status lights on the modem are lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

Try sharing folders on both machines to see if it is the network. When internet goes down, see if you can still access your local network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

masterK wrote:
    No it's not just secure websites. How would I know if I am dropping connection? To resolve the problem I don't have to reset the modem or router, I just have to reboot the laptop. All of the correct status lights on the modem are lit.

If your modem is not losing it's connection then it's something PC related. Have a quick scan with ad-aware or spybot, and run this winsock fix and see if it helps: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html - (Win XP only).

• Advertisement

Can anybody suggest any other ideas. This problem is nothing to do with the wireless router as when I connect the laptop directly to the modem it still happens.

I rang NTL tech support and had the pleasure of speak to the worlds dumbest person who over the course of half an hour brought me through shutting down my laptop, unplugging the router, plugging the router back in and rebooting my laptop and connecting to a website, once I was able to connect to a website they said problem solved to me. I lost the head with her and tried to explain that the connection would go again shortly, she hadn't a clue what I was talking about.

Anyway back to the problem, on the router the Sync and Ready lights are staying on. If I share a folder on my PC I can see it on the network as a shared folder. I have run virus scans, ad aware, spybot, and the winsock fix program suggested, all to no avail.

It may have something to do with the DHCP lease time. I was having problems where my bittorrent would stop after a day or so, until I reset my router by unplugging it.

Check you firewall in your router, 192.168.1.1. password admin.
    If you DHCP may be set to 20 or 0. I have mine set to 9999.

When connecting straight to your modem, bypassing the router, look at the status of the internet connection and see when your DHCP lease expires.

It's does'nt sound like your exact problem but at least you can rule it out after testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

When it goes again, try to access/ping your router setup page. 192.168.2.1 or something similar.
    If you cant access this then you know the problem is between the router and the wireless card.
    If you can then its between the router - modem - isp.

Mightnt be much help but it will help you track down the problem.

Good luck

The problem is not with the wireless router. I connect my laptop directly to the modem and the problem still occured. Any other ideas?

Reinstall windows :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to nets/comms.

Advertisement