Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrading windows 98 to 98SE ???

• 18-01-2005 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

First post on this forum...

I need to install some software on an old (i.e. approx 6 years) PIII machine, which has windows 98 installed (standard 1st edition). But of course the software only works on windows 98SE or above. So, is there a simple way to upgrade windows 98 to SE, or are they two different OS's.

I've trawled through the microsoft web-site, but there's just too much crap there for my liking, and no direct answer.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Should be able to install it over the top.
    If its a P3 machine- would you not consider upgrading to W2k instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

smccarrick wrote:
    Should be able to install it over the top.
    If its a P3 machine- would you not consider upgrading to W2k instead?

Well, I'm doing this for a computer-illiterate friend, and I can't see him wanting to change the OS entirely. (As you say, win2k would be much better to have)

When you say that I should be able to install over the top, ideally I'm looking for a download-able upgrade rather than a CD version, but I cant seem to find one on either the microsoft web-site or any other site. Do you know if there is a download available?

Thanks...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is no downloadable upgrade to 98SE available, indeed, Microsoft no longer support Windows 98SE or ME at all (NT isn't supported any more either).

If you do not have an upgrade CD (which does exist)- I would suggest putting up a wanted thread in the shop forum. Failing that- SE should install over the top.

S.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First post on this forum...

I need to install some software on an old (i.e. approx 6 years) PIII machine, which has windows 98 installed (standard 1st edition). But of course the software only works on windows 98SE or above. So, is there a simple way to upgrade windows 98 to SE, or are they two different OS's.
    I've trawled through the microsoft web-site, but there's just too much crap there for my liking, and no direct answer.
    Ain't that the truth , nearly impossible to find clear terms and conditions on M$ sites that explain in exactly what they mean.

AFAIK with win95 OSR2 was only avail to OEM's , I think this is true of 98SE
    IIRC there are nearly 10 different releases of 95 and 98 altogether each with different incompatibilities.
    No idea on the legalities of upgrading 98 to 98SE and since M$ don't sell it and barely support it anymore I'd reckon their suggestion would be for you to upgrade to 2K or XP , but the cost is more than the PC is worth even if it would run at a decent speed.

Copy the win98 folder from the CD to the Win98 folder on the HDD
    make a note of the serial number - Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder is good.
    And if this serial works with SE98 you could argue that a newer product wouldn't be able to use older serials (cf. office 98 std vs. Pro etc. for examples of products where you can't use serials form another product to install it)

Don't forget to backup first, find the ERU utility or at least backup all the system.da? and user.da? files in \windows first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Still not too sure if this is worth the effort for an old machine, but I'll see how I get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement