Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a software tool.

Options
  • 18-01-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a software tool that will allow remote control over a mixed xp/2000 (& to a lesser extent Mac) network. Server is 2003. XP obviously has a tool but that doesn't work (to the best of my knowledge with 2000).

I want to be able to view a complete system (including desktop) and run applications across the network.

Does anyone know of such an application ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if its a local network id recommend www.tightvnc.org
    install on both pcs
    run server on one
    run client on t'other

easy
    dont use it across the internet tho.
    not very secure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

terminal server
    remote desktop

or higher range - citrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

It is a local network chalk & vnc is currently in place, I'm looking for a more professional product.

Loz - remote desktop won't work with 2k. Citrix is out of my pricerange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Define "professional product", What exactly are your requirements...?

For simple remote access TightVNC or VNC variants should be all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

We need to be able to monitor & take control of systems if necessary. "Professional Product such as PC anywhere but without the high pricetag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

VNC VNC VNC why not VNC? It will handle all you need and the price tag is quite low too.

Throw in some OpenSSH tunnels / PuTTY etc... and you are laughing.

Google is your mate too:
    http://www.techworld.com/netman/features/index.cfm?FeatureID=501

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

to control the MAC's www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/mac/
    also look on www.macwindows.com

last time I checked VNC server support for MAC's was in beta
    anything that has a web browser with Java can remote control a VNC session on most platforms there are serveral flavours of REALVNC :D

psexec on the sysinternals site will give you a remote console on the 2k/xp pc's (handy to run remote scripts that report back)

If you are using it to manage PC's fine

but if you are using it for end users to run remote apps then M$ are very snotty about running remote apps, you need a license for the client desktop app if it's a microsoft one. Windows Terminal Server 2000, allows windows 2000 and XP clients to connect for free. With windows TS 2003 you have to buy licenses for each client in addition to the apps licenses.

Advertisement