Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shadow of the Wind

Options
  • 18-01-2005 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this? It's by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I got it last night and I couldn't put it down, I thought it was tremendous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

bit late but yeah brilliant book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

One of the best books i've ever read. Read it on the train one weekend and couldnt put it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Ooh I love it! It's one of those books that I really wish I had written. It's near perfect. I love the gothic atmosphere, the mystery, the love story - it's like a modern version of a great classic. Not in that it's just a classic set in modern times to make it 'relateable' to people, but it's actually a classic of our times, if that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chuck_d_nun

I read this in one sitting, possibly the best book I have ever read! Anyone know of anything done in a similar style to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Just OK? What was lacking in it (just wondering)?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I liked it well enough. It was very entertaining to read and some aspects of it I like a lot... like the way he described- was it the graveyard of dead/lost books?
    Overall it was far too melodramatic though... by the end so many thing were happening that it was getting silly, if I remember correctly. It's been about 2 years since I read it though, so the details are kinda hazy in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

i read it a few days ago, thought it was excellent. maybe not brilliant literature, but i couldn't put it down! the story did get a bit far fetched and confusing towards the end.. its still one of my favorites!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Fantastic book. Loved the whole mystery of who Julian Carax was and what happened to him. Great setting and characters. This guy has wrote a few novels now but as far as i know Shadow of the wind is the only one published in english. Really would love to read more of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Calina wrote: »
    Has anyone read this? It's by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I got it last night and I couldn't put it down, I thought it was tremendous.

Read this some time ago and highly enjoyed it. Very athmospheric and you should make sure you visit Barcelona and some of the places mentioned to really get an extra kick out of it -before or after you read it. I was lucky enough to be half way through it when I was visitng Barcelona.

Winter in Madrid has a similar athmosphere but certainly not as gothic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement