Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subliminal Advertising during The Simpsons

• 18-01-2005 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes a close up of a pizza flashes on screen for a split second at the start of those Domino's ads during The Simpsons.

I've seen them loads of times and my brother saw them too, but only after I pointed it out.

Isn't that subliminal advertising?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Enygma wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that sometimes a close up of a pizza flashes on screen for a split second at the start of those Domino's ads during The Simpsons.

I've seen them loads of times and my brother saw them too, but only after I pointed it out.

Isn't that subliminal advertising?

is it not just a pizza that features in the dominos pizza ads at the start of the show?

flogen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A subliminal ad for pizza during an ad for pizza. Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Oh like they didn't stop the tape properly or something? Maybe ya, I'll take a look at the end of the ad at the start of the show now.
    Still though, I've seen it too many times now, and not every time either, it's quite suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Bah that's nothing compared to the devious programing going on at Punchestown the other day.

Got the race card and had a look at the first race-

(12:45) : "THE VISIT THE PANORAMIC RESTAURANT BEGINNERS STEPPELECHASE OF 16,000 EURO".

Things sort of got hazy after that :confused: The restaurant was great though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

By definition, if you were conscious of it, then it wasn't subliminal! I would say it was deliberate, all the same, some Uk channels (five especially, ITV too) now flash up their logo between ads, just to reinforce the brand. I am sure that is what Dominos are up to too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

meh , wouldn't worry about it as i have been watching simspons regularly on Sky and yet no dominos pizza has been consumed by me over the last 3 months. It if it subliminal advertising then it is pretty ineffective!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bada_bing wrote:
    meh , wouldn't worry about it as i have been watching simspons regularly on Sky and yet no dominos pizza has been consumed by me over the last 3 months. It if it subliminal advertising then it is pretty ineffective!!!!

Unless... you've been subliminally buying them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Subliminal Advertising is against the law. They used to do it with horror films years ago and people literally died, fainted, shat themselves. Then coke were big into it for a while. AFAIK it's been against the law for years.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Lump wrote:
    Then coke were big into it for a while.

Don't think so. Maybe take a film course or something ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well that's what I was told when I was 14. The person that told me, must have mis-informed me.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement