Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Olympics - that years biggest sporting event?!?

• 18-01-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

I remember the claim at the time and thought it strange. It was just repeated in lecture here by their PR company person.

How was the special olympics that years biggest sporting event in teh world?

wasn't competitors, audience, money or anything. Was/Is trhere any basis for teh claim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Amount Countrys participating and how many could have entered.
    Amount of Athletes at it
    Possible viewing audience

And that makes it biggest sporting event of last year.
    To be pedantic you could say the FAi junior cup was and is every year the biggest sporting tournemnet in the world.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

uberwolf wrote:
    I remember the claim at the time and thought it strange. It was just repeated in lecture here by their PR company person.

How was the special olympics that years biggest sporting event in teh world?

wasn't competitors, audience, money or anything. Was/Is trhere any basis for teh claim?

I don't think there's any basis in that claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

KdjaC wrote:
    Amount Countrys participating and how many could have entered.
    Amount of Athletes at it
    Possible viewing audience

And that makes it biggest sporting event of last year.
    To be pedantic you could say the FAi junior cup was and is every year the biggest sporting tournemnet in the world.

kdjac

viewing audience would have streets behind that years Tour de France - which would have had on some days 750,000 on the side of the road and upto .5 billion people watching.

Competitors - any marathon of your choice

Countries? I don't know. But i'm sure again marathons and the like would have a significant vareity.

being pedantic? but of course. ;)

Key is possible viewing audience and amount of countrys that can enter but may not.
    So as its the Olympics every country can enter if they wish and can view if they wish also.

kdjac

thats probably a little simplistic. Potential viewing audience - How many stations worldwide would have carried it? I'll cite the tour again. the crunch days have a proven 750,000 on the side of the road. and A further 500,000,000 watching at least the highlights on tv.

It struck me as a completely unsubstantiated attention grabbing claim. Which is fair enough for a charity event I guess. Don't even know why it riled me a wee bit.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote:
    How many stations worldwide would have carried it?

But thats it they all can for free , bleedin RTE only had a highlights show yet showed every single event in the greek olympics. Most countires wouldnt show it but they can and it was a PR slogan and in PR possible and actual are poles apart :D

FAI junior cup is biggest sporting tournement in the world due to the amount of teams that enter bigger than the world cup , slightly useless fact.

kdjac

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

KdjaC wrote:
    FAI junior cup is biggest sporting tournement in the world due to the amount of teams that enter bigger than the world cup , slightly useless fact.

That's mad :) Is there not a bigger version of it in England, or do they break them up unto regional tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I thought it was the biggest sporting event based on the number of athletes taking part, you would have thought the rugby world cup would have been the biggest but apparantly not

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    I thought it was the biggest sporting event based on the number of athletes taking part, you would have thought the rugby world cup would have been the biggest but apparantly not

New York marathon had 36,000 runners last year. For example. I'd imagine most major marathons are similar.

Advertisement