Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a language

Options
  • 18-01-2005 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

what language is most used out there

is it hard to get into oracle :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

coolio_64 wrote:
    For what? Application programming? Game programming? Server-side programming? Mobile-application programming? Web page script programming? Web service programming? Systems programming? Database programming? Et cetera ad infinitum...
    coolio_64 wrote:
    is it hard to get into oracle
    Oracle is a company, who, for one, make database solutions. Its not the name of a programming language.

I'm going to assume you have no clue as to what you're doing here, right? Ok. You'll probably want to start by buying a book on either Java or C#.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Java

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

MrPinK wrote:
    Java

You're basing that on what now?

The assumption that if he wanted to programme a specific kind of application, he probably would have said so. I'm guessing that he just wants to learn how to programme. He asked to recommend a language, I'd go with Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

C/C++
    C++ is very good to learn in i found,
    it has both elements of java and C..its not tOO high level, java hides a whole bunch of stuff, its always easier to go forward than back.

ideally i would advise learning in C, but that could turn out to be toO much of a pain in the ass..but i'd imagine it could be worth it in the end.

my two cents anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Learn C++ first. It will give you a better understanding of what you are doing. If you become somewhat competent in it then getting to that level in Java or C# shouldn't be difficult at all.

Only problem is your code may look like C++ when done in Java and then people nag at you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Yeah learn C++. When you're an accomplished programmer there'll be a job waiting for you in Bangalore! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

You could start a little easier and go with something like Visual Basic. Introduces programming principles and is a lot easier to understand at first. That said you will need something like Java or C# eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would avoid VB as a first language. Learn C and Java; that's what I'd do if I could start again. They'll teach you pretty much everything you'll need to know about programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

This thread should be closed. Newbies read the charter/faq/et al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Perl!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Learn PROLOG, it's not particularly usefull but it gives you a nice tingling quivering sensation when your brain begins to melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

If you want to learn how to program, then you want to stay with strict strongly typed languages. Pascal would be the language I would recommend, most of the colleges start students of on it, don’t worry about learning a language that is widely used because once you know how to program you could learn a new language like C# (once you know OO concepts) in as little as 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

coolio_64 wrote:
    AFAIK it's English, but Spanish is popular too

(If you want to learn to program you better get used to defining your requirements :D)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

coolio_64 wrote:
    I don't know but suspect Spanish, English and Chinese may be up there!
    coolio_64 wrote:
    is it hard to get into oracle :D
    Turn on telly >> go to ITV >> press 'text'

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you have absolutly no experience in programming I recommend using Cobol to see how a programme works and then when you understand that learn whatever language you want because once you get the basis of how a program is structured and understand what it is doing you are laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

jonny24ie I hope you were trying to be sarcastic ;)

coolio_64 I would recommend Python. You should steer clear of Visual Basic because its expensive and if it is your first language it will teach you a lot of lazy habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

fragile wrote:
    coolio_64 I would recommend Python. You should steer clear of Visual Basic because its expensive and if it is your first language it will teach you a lot of lazy habits.
    I hear pyton is quite nice, but remember that its an interpreted scripting languge, not a compilable one. It makes no odds when it comes to learning the basics of programming, but just pointing out that it might not be as powerful as most other languages so I wouldn't stick with only it...

And for the record, I started on VB and I don't have any lazy habits... Well, apart from trying to stay in bed as long as I can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tempest

damnyanks wrote:
    Only problem is your code may look like C++ when done in Java and then people nag at you :D

Why? Because it's neat??? ;)

C and C++ are good languages to learn because they provide a solid foundation for programming, but tbh it doesn't matter what language you learn first. Java is a good language to learn first also although it doesn't give you the same insight into the lower levels of the hardware/software interface it does provide extremely powerful api's and let's you get up and going very quickly. This is important for some people learning because you can get better feedback quickly. The same goes for VB. it's horse for courses really and not everyone will react in the same way to learning the same language first.

I suppose the main point is that a lot of people who could make good programmers might run away at the first sight of C and never make it as far as Java. For these people it would be better to start with Java or VB and learn C as a hobby.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

And why do you hope that I am joking????

I am serious, ask anyone that started off on Cobol. I done an eight week course in Cobol and I can program in most languages now because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

Syth wrote:
    Perl!
    Larry would be proud of ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

fragile wrote:
    jonny24ie I hope you were trying to be sarcastic ;)

Expensive in what way? You can get the light version of the compiler for free. If you want hte full "enterprise" stuff with MSDN then it will cost you which is reasonable as it can be quite a useful tool when stuck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Most collage courses do teach Java first. I assume the reasons for this are as it is similar to most other languages in syntax etc. and costs nothing to setup and make programs with. Notepad and the free Java tools from Sun are all that you need. Also its compatable across many platforms. After doing Java you will probably find it easy to move to languages like C etc.

There are many Java books and resources out there to help you aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Try C++ first and once you get the hang of that, than move to java.

damnyanks wrote:
    Expensive in what way? You can get the light version of the compiler for free. If you want hte full "enterprise" stuff with MSDN then it will cost you which is reasonable as it can be quite a useful tool when stuck :)

I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out

jonny24ie wrote:

I am serious, ask anyone that started off on Cobol. I done an eight week course in Cobol and I can program in most languages now because of that.

I have never used Cobol to be fair, I have just heard a lot of horror stories from people who were forced to use it for years. Perhaps I should give it a look ;)

jonny24ie wrote:

You can make the same claim about almost any language. Once you pick up the first one, the rest are relatively easy. So why not start of with one that would be a bit more...eh....useful :)

damnyanks wrote:
    Expensive in what way? You can get the light version of the compiler for free. :)
    Unless it's changed since I was learning it, the free edition of VB won't let you create executables. It can be pretty frustrating spending a lot of time writing something, and then not being able to run it outside of an IDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

AlisonB wrote:
    Larry would be proud of ya :)
    Your obviously talking about Larry Wall, the creater of Perl. However I know a guy called Larry who likes Perl and I though that you were talking about him. It freaked me out because I didn't know how you knew it was me, why larry would be talking about me & perl to some women.

It makes a lot more sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I personally would recommend python. Is a really easy language and the tutorial docs make it quite easy to learn. Not as powerful but is faster than java in any case. I like it. Makes applications a doddle and it really gets the o-o idea across really well. As for VB, unless you want to be working with Access and with really lazy/not so good programmers, steer well clear of. Handy in some circumstances but there are more cons that pros.

Thats my 2 cents.

Also if it is web-scripting then php or perl are the way to go.

Advertisement