Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with wireless router (Linksys G)

• 18-01-2005 6:03pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice here, I have been using this router for the past 6 weeks or so and have not gotten around to making it secure. Well now, I need to make it secure and I have no idea where to start, so I am calling out to anyone who may be able to help me set it up. I am able to get into the config menu of the router, but anywhere beyond that I'm lost.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

It's not specific to your router, but you might find this of help:
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/secure-wireless.html

Disabling broadcasting of SSID might make it problematic for you to connect, especially if there's other wireless networks up in your neighbourhood.

Good Luck ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Leonard wrote:
    I am looking for some advice here, I have been using this router for the past 6 weeks or so and have not gotten around to making it secure. Well now, I need to make it secure and I have no idea where to start, so I am calling out to anyone who may be able to help me set it up. I am able to get into the config menu of the router, but anywhere beyond that I'm lost.

Thanks

There is some 'educational stuff' on the Linksys site

It is not all that difficult realy! there are two steps - you can set up either wep or wpa encryption (wpa is better) and you can restrict access to your network to certain pcs/laptop by their mac address this is just the number of each wireless/network card and is quite easy to obtain.

The first step is to check if you have thelatest firmware for the linksys and also that you have the latest drivers for your network cards. Establish if your wireless/network cards are wpa capable and post again for further advice if you need it.

The full manual for the linksys is available
    here Setting up security is covered on page 67. Basically if you are setting up WPA you put in a password (wpa - psk) and then the other pcs and laptops have to enter that password to get onto the network its that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I have the same router, and just set it up today. Does anyone know any applications that I could run to test the strength of my router's security?

P.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oceanclub wrote:
    I have the same router, and just set it up today. Does anyone know any applications that I could run to test the strength of my router's security?

P.

Have a look here few good tests. But its not just the router you have to watch - for instance I am using a Linksys wag54g and when I run the tests there it tells me my Apple laptop is completely invisible but when I run it on my pc there are a couple of ports open!.

Advertisement