Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am debate!

Options
  • 18-01-2005 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey all,

Remember hearing from a few of the '04 people that they were planning to do the Leinster Denny Schools debating thingy (formerly ESBs). Did anyone go through with it? Just ask cos I'm an adjudicator for it, want to know who to look out for. Best of luck to you all. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

Yep, me. We won the first round, but that said, we probably won't get far because
    a) we're crap,
    b) the teacher helping us won't let me out coz I'm in third year Oh and
    c) we're fairly crap.

When's the next round anyway? Is it in U or T (CD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Heh, heh... Irwin!

Never has debate been so tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

was that why there were so many kids in the GMB in trinity before christmas one time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

crash_000 wrote:
    was that why there were so many kids in the GMB in trinity before christmas one time?

Dude it was SO many more times than just one!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Dude... Sweeet....

• Advertisement

halenger wrote:
    Dude... Sweeet....

Not sweet at all - SO hard to get to class on time when ppl are milling around, slightly confused. It was even worse cuz there were still a good few tourists on campus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

I'd say those kids were either doing schools rounds, or this newfangled Schools Mace Competition they created to rival the UCD Schools Mace and give kids more experience. We have those mass convergences in UCD too, they always look so lost...

The rounds are starting this week, two days in UCD, one day in Trinity. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

maybe they're all just dossing? We all do it once in a while...... don't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I did it with another girl in my year. The teachers didn't give us any help and we'd never seen or participated in a debate in this format previously(our school only teaches us the Gael Linn structure)but we said we'd give it a shot. Didn't get through, but we had fun and will give it a shot next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

HeyYou wrote:
    Hey all,

Remember hearing from a few of the '04 people that they were planning to do the Leinster Denny Schools debating thingy (formerly ESBs). Did anyone go through with it? Just ask cos I'm an adjudicator for it, want to know who to look out for. Best of luck to you all. :)
    I think Janet's doing that (safe assumption in any case, crazy debate girl that she is) so keep an eye out for her :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭incredula pert

Hello!
    I am doing it, and me and my partner have gotten through the first two rounds! so yay..although we're never given any help from the teachers...*grumble grumble*

anyone else still in it??

anyone else still in it??

Yep, I'm also through to the next round, which I think is is the quarter final?
    Our second round was in a room about 7 flights of stairs up in Trinity last Monday. We got through and I think there were 2 other ctyiers there.

Next round is indeed the quarter final, no mean achievement to make it that far. Muireann is in it too, and in the quarter finals safely. Hope to see some of you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Liquorice wrote:
    I did it with another girl in my year. The teachers didn't give us any help and we'd never seen or participated in a ****** in this format.
    Proof that any phrase, no matter how innccent can be warped horribly by Jack, the Latex avenger!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

pfft, that wasnt exactly a very hard innuendo to make you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hehehe, neil said hard

Jack, the Latex avenger!

I assume that was a self anointed title?.. And did i see you walking past the savoy on Monday evening around 5/6?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Yes, I was outside the Savoy on Monday evening, waiting to catch a bus, I wasn't wearing Latex though. Who exactly is this?

eoin. the guy whose arse you broke on his own kitchen floor!
    i never said u were wearing latex, that was unattached! different issue...

So, is anyone in a debate on Monday night in the GMB?

• Advertisement

So!

Quarter Finals are done, anyone still in the running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

My mate is in the final of the Aoife Begley's in Maynooth, if thats worth anything to you...

What's the Aoife Begley's? Never heard of it. Anyhoo, the finals of the Leinsters are in a few weeks, you should come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Might go with Mark... (but with an alterior motive of the possibility of Irwinness...)

Glad to hear Irwination would be a motive! I'll let you know when it's on. By the way, anyone who's interested in competitive debating should go to it; but more importantly, they should come to the Irish Times Final. The Irish Times Competition is like the Leinster School's but, for all the colleges in Ireland. So the final, which is on at 7.00 in O'Reilly Hall in UCD, this Wednesday March 2nd, has the best debaters in the country in it. As a handy bonus, I'll be there helping out! Let me know if you're coming, you're all more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ah irwin, sure if he was any longer he'd be late...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

ya... Irwin's a big tall man

Hey all. Final of the Leinster Schools Competition in on Wednesday at 7.00 in the Ed Burke Theatre in Trinity. Lineup includes a team from Castleknock, a team from Gonzaga (huzzah!), and two teams from Belvedere ,with four other individuals too. It'd be good to see you there, if you have any interest in debating (or are coming to UCD/ Trinity next year) it'll be a great evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Peterfing

On a different note... Is anyone else partaking in the Forum on Europe Public Speaking thing? The final is in Dublin Castle in April.. is anyone from St. Mary's team a ctyi person? Or the other teams..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nope. I'm the only CTYIer in St. Marys to the best of my knowlege and I know the team anyway.

Advertisement