Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ffxi

Options
  • 18-01-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

I had a look at the favourite ff thread and couldnt find anything about ffxi, so im just posting this here, basically, wondering is it any good? i downloaded the benchmark demo, and while the idea of an online FF intruiges me, the demo was full of these annoying little chipmunk type bastards hopping around merrily, and to say it worried me is an understatement. Another over the top cutesy wutesy sh!tefest like ff8, or quality mmorpg? (btw bear in mind ive never played any mmorpgs before)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its a fantastic game, i bought it last october and play it too much for my own good:) that benchmark demo is a bit misleading really, what you saw on the demo was only one of many races, you saw the very small Tarutaru race, there are four other races, Hume, Elvaan, Mithra and Galka and they look alot different to the taru, alot bigger and not rearly as cutesy:)

The game is divided into four different worlds San D'Oria, Bastok, Windhurst and the Grand Duchy of Jeuno all offering completely different environments and dozens of areas to explore. There are cities, towns, wilds, dungeons. This game would not be nearly as story driven as the console final fantasy games but instead it has strong mmorpg style of gameplay where you live your character, you level up, you fight monsters, talk to npc's to drive the story along to do quests and missions, you can party with other players in the tougher areas to gain experience, you can explore on your own, you can farm, mine, fish, log, harvest, bid in auctions, set up bazaars, theres so much to do...

You start the game off with a job being either warrior, monk, white mage, black mage, red mage or a theif. After lvl18 you can choose a secondary job from one of those just mentioned and its best to choose one that compliments your primary job well. Further into the game as you level up alot more you can gain extra jobs such as Paladin, dark knights, beastmasters, bards, ninjas, rangers and summoners. Equipping yourself with armour and weapons is a bit similar to Dungeon Siege.

However the game seemed a bit difficult at the start with for the first few days and a certain level of patience is required, gil seems hard to come by at first and you have so little of it compared to what you get in the other games and items in shops cost alot of money. As your fame increases with the locals when you perform quests the cost of items in the shops come down and it unlocks further quests which adance your character, but most items are bought in the auction houses. Before you start the game check out various websites and make sure you know what job to start as and how it effects your game. All in all imo this is a great game and most final fantasy fans will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Deadwing wrote:
    Another over the top cutesy wutesy sh!tefest like ff8
    i think you're thinking of FF9

FF8 was the americanised characters

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

awww the characters from 9 were great... how could you not like zidane, garnet and especially vivi:) steiner was a bit of a git tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

i was gonna get FFXI then i saw the bloody fee. DAMN THEM. I wants it

its not that much really, first month is free then $9.98 for second month and $12,95 every month after that ..i think thats roughly €10 a month...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

i'm a miser. once off payments what i like

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i wouldn't mind paying it but the lack of a credit card lets me down,

plus that epassporte thingy looks difficult to set up, also have my leaving this year so, i think it's for the best

Advertisement