Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Awards 2004 - THE WINNERS!

• 18-01-2005 8:57pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Most Tragically Overlooked Movie of 2004 - A Mighty Wind
    Comment: An easy enough win, it secured 32% of the vote with runner up 'Janghwa, Hongryeon/A Tale of Two Sisters' on 24%. Personally, not a bad choice.

Best Character of 2004 - Napoleon Dynamite - "Napoleon Dynamite"
    Comment: Got 60% of the vote, with 40% going to 'Anchorman''s Brick. Napoleon Dynamite, I think, is the deserved winner.

Best Newcomer of 2004 - Jon Heder - As Napoleon Dynamite in "Napolean Dynamite"
    Comment: Heder got 38% of the vote to Zach Braff's 31%. Heder is a pretty deserved winner.

Best Actor/Supporting Actor of 2004 - Jim Carrey - As Joel Barish in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
    Comment: Jim Carrey stole the show at 68.75%. The next best, Benico del Toro, managed only a paltry 18.75%. Good win for Carrey, although Considine's intense performance was better IMHO.

Best Foreign Language Film of 2004 - Oldboy
    Comment: 'Hero'/'Ying xiong' tied with 'Oldboy' on 8 votes. As moderator I get the deciding vote and awarded it to 'Oldboy' which I felt was better, although 'Save the Green Planet' was better than both...

Best Score/Soundtrack of 2004 - Shaun of the Dead
    Comment: It won with 28.13%, seeing off 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind''s 21.88%. Personally, I prefered the musical landscape of 'Collateral' but there ya go...

Best Screenplay of 2004 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Comment: An overwhelming win here for ESotSM, securing 70% of the vote. The runner up, 'Napoleon Dynamite' could only get 16.67%. Kaufman's script is a deserved winner.

Best Documentary of 2004 - Super-Size Me
    Comment: Pretty solid win with 34.21% of the vote, with 'Fahrenheit 9/11' mustering 23.68%. A good documentary but I felt there were better, less publicised ones.

Best Actress/Supporting Actress of 2004- Bryce Dallas Howard - As Ivy Walker in "The Village"
    Comment: I was underwhelmed by the performance but ye voted as ye saw fit. Julie Delpy, who I felt should have had it, came narrowly behind on 40% of the vote to Howard's 45%.

Best Animation of 2004 - The Incredibles
    Comment: The clearest win of the lot on 71.43% with Shrek 2 only getting 23.81%. Very deserved winner.

Worst Actor/Actress of 2004 - Halle Berry - "Gothika"/"Catwoman"
    Comment: Well done Berry! 42% of us thought you were the worst, with your rival Affleck managing only 32%. You truly are crap.

Best Director of 2004 - Michel Gondry - "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
    Comment: A smashing win on 53.66% and one I won't dispute. Michael Mann put up a brave fight with 'Collateral' but only got 21.95%.

Most-Overrated Movie of 2004 - Fahrenheit 9/11
    Comment: Narrowly beating out 'Troy' for this dubious honour (17.14% vs 15.71%), Moore's polemical documentary may somewhat deserve its title, especially since 'Troy' wasn't all that rated to begin with...

Worst Movie of 2004 - Alien versus Predator/AvP
    Comment: Delighted to see Anderson's insulting garbage win with 21.33% of the vote, fending off the turd that was 'Van Helsing' on 18.67%. If you're reading this Anderson or Sommers - take a hint and quit.

Best Film of 2004 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Comment: The best till last. A pretty solid winner here, with 38.1%. The runnerup was the worthy 'Lost in Translation' on 22.2%. ESotSM deserves its award and I'm happy to see it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

strangely...i very much agree with how the voting went...(except for fahernheit 9/11, which i agree shouldnt have gotten best documentry. ahh well the new documentry from the team that did dogtown and z boys is on now i think i'll go watch that)

Well done boards for having taste.

p.s Wh00T for OLDBOY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Some interesting winners...

And also, you too, ixoy, are deserving of an honorary prize for the organisation of the Film Awards 2004. Very well structured and executed, it was a pleasure to vote in and comment on! :) I'm sure this sentiment will be echoed by others as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thankee Haruspex. It was a pleasure to organize them. Post your platitudes and comments freely :D

Now bed for I must be awake in four frakking hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

bloody eternal sunshine..hated it.... Lost in translation should have won....but hey...thats awards...thats debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

ixoy wrote:
    Best Director of 2004 - Michel Gondry - "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
    Comment: A smashing win on 53.66% and one I won't dispute. Michael Mann put up a brave fight with 'Collateral' but only got 21.95%.
    Odd that you chose to mention the "runner up" in most other categories, but chose to list the "runner-runner-up" in this - could your bias for Michael Mann be shining through here? :)

Slightly more constructively - is there any way we can see who voted for what? I'd be real interested to see who needs to go on my shit list.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Odd that you chose to mention the "runner up" in most other categories, but chose to list the "runner-runner-up" in this - could your bias for Michael Mann be shining through here? :)
    Heh - guilty as charged...Honestly thought such a beautiful looking movie deserved more recognition. Such bias comes up again in my posting of the Oscar nominees...
    Slightly more constructively - is there any way we can see who voted for what? I'd be real interested to see who needs to go on my **** list.
    Not that I know. When you create polls, as you may know, you can select to make votes public. I chose not to to stop a load of "why did you vote for that!" fighting... I might consider it differently next time though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Personally, I didn't see Collateral until after the film awards (Gamestop are/were selling the special edition DVD for EUR20). But having said that, I'm not sure how it would have influenced my voting if I had seen it.

I'll probably dig up the review thread later and post my thoughts on the movie there.

ps - Millennium quotes in yr sig? Deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

i dunno if the voting is as accurate as it could be, i take it alot of people voted for films, but didn't see the others.

how many people actually saw all the films up for vote in each category they voted in?

tck wrote:
    i dunno if the voting is as accurate as it could be, i take it alot of people voted for films, but didn't see the others.

how many people actually saw all the films up for vote in each category they voted in?
    It's a good question, one I'd like to know myself. I myself had seen nearly every movie nominated in all the categories but then that's why I'm the sort running the awards...

To be honest though, the same thing happens with the Oscars. I've seen voters admit they'll only have seen one movie in a particular category and they end up voting for that as a result. Or maybe their friend worked on a picture, so that will receive their vote. Nevermind the fact some are voting on categories they haven't really a clue about (i.e. actors on sound mixing awards) - again they'll vote for their fave picture/their pals rather than maybe what the award is designed for.

If the Oscars are thus flawed, I think we're doing the best we can possibly do...

Advertisement