Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richer Sounds Plasma Offer

Options
  • 18-01-2005 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Is the offer of a Panasonic Plasma TH42PW6B too good to be true?
    I'm looking to buy a plasma for the first time..been around all the usual places in Dublin (DID, Currys etc) but have not seen this Panasonic model.
    Is it an old model or exclusive to the UK?
    Someone in DID told me that its necessary to buy a tuner for a UK model and the picture quality will not be as good?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Sorry..the price is €1899 www.richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

As far as I know it's a good model but more a display then a TV. It has no tuner, scarts, svideo etc. You need to buy boards for each of these connections at over €200 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

I got one after Christmas.. is excellent and the staff are fantastic.

I got a scart board for it (€220) and the wall mount whcih is €160. (Screen fits in its box standing up on the back seat of a Megane if you have transport considerations).

If you think about it, if you have sky or ntl/chorus, the box is a tuner so you don't actually need a tuner if your box outputs scart. Otherwise a video could act as an aerial tuner as long as it has a scart output... so you you'd be paying €2100 for an excellent screen with an RGB scart input which is technically all you need. A real afficiando would probably want a compoonent input board for progressive scan dvd, but I can do without for the time being. What HIFI have it rated at 5 stars (or whatever full marks is) and reckon RRP should be £3500 sterling! So it's a bargain at £1299STR.

The picture is excellent from DVD and grand from SKY, sometimes you can get jaggies around test or graphics, but that's the broadcaster, and some channels can be more 'fuzzy' than others but I reckon it's based on the bandwdith they are using to broadcast.

lph

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Cole wrote:
    Sorry..the price is €1899 www.richersounds.ie

Just checked it out, the price is €2449, isn't it?
    You can pick up the LG PX11 for around €2800 without the need to add any boards etc.
    Still looks like a good price for pannie equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There's a lot of talk about plasmas these days but is it fair to say that the current quality of picture on these sets are well below a standard set? The big selling point being size and the fact they look good hanging on a wall. I have never seen any sales literature that sells the quality of picture!

It's similar to MP3 players - you never hear a word about the quality of reproduction, it is always the size of the HD.

Is quality of audio and visual reproduction from home entertainment now taking a back seat to size and convenience?

• Advertisement

Panasonic Plasma

Regarding picture quality I'd say from DVD its as good if not better than CRT, both because of the size (and thus the experience) and the representation of colours and depth of detail seems much better (then again that's not to say my crt didn't suck). I'd imagine a decent crt would set you back the guts of a grand for a 32". So I supppose the decision is bigger screen (and if you can wall hang it less of the room taken up), comparable (if not slightly better) picture quality from decent sources, as opposed to cheaper, less screen and bulkier form factor...

I have to say I'm delighed with the plasma, with the proceeds from selling my 32" crt and the VAT back, it cost my about a grand - the price of a decent CRT (down here anyway).....

lph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Anytime I have seen a plasma is a show room I have always though the picture has been pretty awful ... lots of what I would call "muddy" patches and less than sharp picture. Of course it may have been a poor broadcast source as opposed to a DVD source.

BTW how did you get your VAT back???

It was bought for my business, presentations and the like...

I think most showrooms don't do the picture quality justice by daisy chaining a **** aerial signal or scart signal -you really need to judge a plasma(or any screen) with a clean signal..

Advertisement