Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In the name of sanity - please help ! (moved after posted in wrong board)

Options
  • 18-01-2005 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a 1995 BMW 520i E34 auto model.

I knew when I bought it (very cheaply from an emigrating friend) that there was a problem with it. He told me he had taken it to his mechanic who diagnosed a faulty mass air flow meter. My friend decided to sell the car cheaply rather than getting the work done as he was going away.

So I got my hands on a new mass air flow meter today, and fitted it this evening in 30 minutes. Off I went for a drive, and it felt so much better - I was certain the problem was solved. But when pulling away from a set of traffic lights, the problem returned. Here's a description :-

The car runs fine for the first 20-30 minutes. Then suddenly this problem develops, whereby the engine seems choked up. It would be very sluggish on pulling away, then it would "loop" - accelerating and falling back, accelerating and falling back .... etc etc etc ..... It's the very same effect as if the driver was pumping on the gas peddle as the car moves.

If you step on the peddle, the car will accelerate like the clappers, then once the gear shifts up the problem is back again. It seems to only happen in or around the 2k rev range. Above or below that it doesn't seem to be such a problem, however it will stall sometimes upon braking.

Any ideas please ? Anyone else experienced this problem ? What on earth could it be ? Haynes don't do a manual for this model ... I'm completly baffled.

All comments/ideas welcome please - thanks.

Advertisement