Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look for in a MA instructor?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

It's not htat hard to go on a course and get a formal coaching qualification.

You might have to give up time from work and stuff. But I have known people who have done it.

Again it don't mean that your any good at teaching (coaching :D) MA's !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Fair point, but a formal qualification has to count for something. I might be a fantastic bridge builder, but unless I'm chartered nobody is going to let me build one for them! I think its the way we should be heading.

The fact of the matter is that there is no real way of regulating. Take yourself for example at PMA, what you guys do might well be related to what I do, but we train and believe different things. Equally Mark is opposed to many of your training methods.
    You would think the only way to go is to create governing bodies for each individual discipline. But again, thats impossible as I've been told twice by two different ITF people that what I do "isn't really Tae Kwon Do".

Thats all down to ego :rolleyes:

It's the open minded guys (many of which seem to be on this Borad ;) ) that get put down the most by those in the "Traditional" form of the base art.

If they say your not doing TKD as it is defined by them, then your probably better off :D (I'd love to get along to see it sometime ??).

As I mentioned earilier, the sports council needs to have a MA'ist on it. Not groups affiliated on the side. So that a proper integrated format for MA training (integrated: with the basic guides of the Sports Council. But also taking into account the requirements for MA training) can be drafted.

Again back to ego though. Because we all come at the MA's from different angles (though sometimes parallel) what could be set out as offical guides may still not be suitable.

A complicated mess :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I've been told twice by two different ITF people that what I do "isn't really Tae Kwon Do".
    I had a guy tell me that about Philips club here in UL as well. Being in the ITF is hugely important to many ITF people and they believe the propaganda they are told. It's sad really, esp considering the state of the ITF anyway, 3 different world championships in the last year all under the same name! I also had an ITF red belt training with me for a while who told me that his instructor would probably freak out if he told him that he was training with me.
    If you ever start getting compliments from those guys, i'd be worried!!

I don't think that there will ever be any true governing body for MAs here, way to many egos and agendas. Anyway, I'd say that most association heads are happy in their own ponds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Tim_Murphy wrote:
    I don't think that there will ever be any true governing body for MAs here, way to many egos and agendas. Anyway, I'd say that most association heads are happy in their own ponds.

IMHO we badly need one, Basic ground rules on health and safety thats all.
    You can't tell an art how to work or train thats pointless but not just anyone should be allowed to put themselves forward as an instructor. If you go to a gym you expect the instructor to know what hes doing. Most people assume that MA instructors are qualified somehow but we all know the sad truth. :(

Dabhal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

If you ever start getting compliments from those guys, i'd be worried!!

I'm a Dan grade under the ITF originally and I think Roper is just swell :D
    Why isn't there a puking smiley??

Whatever about teaching different MA instructors how to run their clubs,there should be a basic phys. Ed. standard.I remember reading in Tom Kurz book about not making kids stretch too much when they are going through growth spurts as the tendons and ligaments are already under pressure,hence "Growing Pains"
    Just basic information like this on safe training and stretching methods are needed to prevent people being injured by the crazy training methods some people use.
    It's not just the MA's though,I've seen GAA Players made do some nutso stuff and the amount of injuries some of them pick up is madness.
    I know the local TKD Instructor has been sent on a coaching course and doesn't use a lot of the stretches and stuff we used to do years ago as they are "contra-indicated".Of course being able to kick above waist high is also contra-indicated but if you're doing TKD then not a lot of choice there :)
    I was sent on a basic first aid course as part of my Instructors course years ago,and am an occupational first aider at work.We've recently been given a mobile Defibrillator just in case!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Just to address the points raised about IMAC:

Brendan Dowling: We are not interested in representing makey-uppey jitsu or beat them up better merchants.

That's nearly a direct quote from a published interview.

I still have the notes from the IMAC meeting where it was discussed that anyone who took part in "cage fighting" was "bringing the martial arts into disrepute".

I posted a very respectful question on IMAC's forum about this - it was deleted.
    I posted the exact same wording again - IMAC's forum was removed and has not reappeared.

The first point of IMACs overall mission is "To provide the public with a clearly identifiable and Trustworthy Quality Mark for the Martial Arts - where
    Safety, Standards and Answerability are ensured."

I can name about twenty IMAC instructors off the top of my head who teach absolute tripe. IMAC is a failed institution.

As for the coaching qualifications, they have nothing to do with the ISC, they come from the NCTC, but mean very little due to the range of arts under the IMAC umbrella.

I've been an IMAC member in one form or another for about 13 years, and I can honestly say that they have never done one thing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Isnt the IMAC Jiu Jitsu representitive Joe Carslake the very man who had such a great opinion about MMA in the article that Colm O'R posted up. I think that was indicative of their opinion of us. Let them have their exclusive club. Meanwhile we'll be improving ourselves and living happy lives while they cockfight over meaningless politics!

Ive never seen a single useful thing that IMAC have done! Im still waiting!

Clive wrote:
    Just to address the points raised about IMAC:

Brendan Dowling: We are not interested in representing makey-uppey jitsu or beat them up better merchants.
    Nothing wrong with that
    Clive wrote:
    I still have the notes from the IMAC meeting where it was discussed that anyone who took part in "cage fighting" was "bringing the martial arts into disrepute".

hmmmmm not very helpful or constructive. I can only guess that they are only interested in very traditional arts, in which case then yes they have failed.

Dabhal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

dabhal wrote:
    Nothing wrong with that

It sounded derogatory to me and demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the sport, surprising for someone supposed to be a spokesman for sports in general.

• Advertisement

It sounded derogatory to me and demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the sport, surprising for someone supposed to be a spokesman for sports in general.

I'm confused here, that comment does not mention any style or club rather I understood it to mean the cowboys who make up thier own arts with japenese sounding names etc. What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Based on the climate and context, I personally think that he was talking about MMA, but regardless, he's conveniently forgotten that Aikido was "made up" about fifty years ago.

From [url]www.martialarts.ie:[/url]
    THE OVERALL MISSION OF THE IRISH MARTIAL ARTS COMMISSION

A To provide the public with a clearly identifiable and Trustworthy Quality Mark for the Martial Arts - where Safety, Standards and Answerability are ensured.

B. To promote and encourage the development of the subtle and less publicized aspects of Martial Arts training and make them more accessible by the general public . (e.g.).......The potential for the nurturing and development of focus, cognitive skills, responsible citizenship, confidence building and personal development. The exploration of conflict resolution techniques and processes. The building of community participation and social interaction within and without the Dojo

C. To provide Martial Arts organizations and clubs with a structure through which they can be fairly represented and through which they can democratically express their ambitions and concerns.

D. To provide the Irish Sports Council with a reliable and trustworthy structure through which they can be advised on matters relating to Martial Arts and through which they can channel advice, encouragement, restrictions, safety regulations, development procedures, and funding to the various Governing Bodies / Advisory Boards.

A is clearly a failure. Leaving aside the rubbish many IMAC instructors teach, the ISC's code of ethics and good practice for dealing with children is not adhered to, anti-doping education and testing are non-existant, and in thie past ten years I can think of one seminar IMAC has organised - on spinal or neck injuries if I recall.

B is bizarre, but then again, IMAC is the only sports body I know of that has regulations about people starting rumours in it's constitution. The use of the word dojo betrays Nipponocentricity.

C IMAC doesn't even represent it's members, never mind the vast numbers of martial artists that aren't a part of it.

D they may provide the ISC with all that, but none of the information they get from the ISC is filtering down to the members on the ground.

If AKAI ever split off from IMAC and go it alone, then it will effectively be an aikido organisation. End of rant!

Clive wrote:
    End of rant!

But a good rant ;)

As Bob Hoskins said "It's good to talk"

Clive wrote:
    Based on the climate and context, I personally think that he was talking about MMA, but regardless, he's conveniently forgotten that Aikido was "made up" about fifty years ago.

Well only Mr.Dowling could clear that up, but Like I said thats not the way I understood that comment. There are plenty of clubs out there that are just complete rubbish, run by absolute morans(I heard about one on saturday).
    These guys generally make up a name and stick the word Jitsu or do at the end of it. I do believe that is what he was taking a stab at.
    BTW I'm sure Mr. Dowling is well aware of the history of Aikido.

On the progress of IMAC, I posted a question about them a few weeks ago and it does seem that since 2001 they have not done anything. :( (at least no-one posting here seems to know about it :( )

Dabhal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

These guys generally make up a name and stick the word Jitsu or do at the end of it. I do believe that is what he was taking a stab at.

Do you know him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Dabhal,

unless you have prior experience with Brendan and/or Whitefriars Aikido people its best to leave speculation out of this.

My understanding of his attitudes would be similar to Clive's. To the best of my knowledge derisory comments were directed at brazilian jiu jitsu/MMA.

Colum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

dabhal wrote:
    There are plenty of clubs out there that are just complete rubbish, run by absolute morans

Dabhal

Mrs. Moran is a lovely woman.

.logic.

Advertisement