Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just another Nerd Olympics thread;)

Options
  • 18-01-2005 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

So the lectures have already started in Maynooth at least (or finished, I dunno:rolleyes:) first ones on in UCD are this saturday; is anybody else going to be there? And if so I haven't the foggiest as to when/where I have to be, can't seem to find it on the UCD page :mad: )

Plus post if you've been to the lectures this year or before, who's the worst/best lecturer? Any funny habits to be aware of, such as incessant farting or throwing chalk/markers at people?(not as ridiculous as you might think :o )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

nerd olympics? what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bandana

Sorry there was a thread about this by that name before-it's the Math's Olympiad lectures programme....thingy. That's probably as succinct as I can make it:D Some people that do v well in their junior cert. maths test get invited to waste their saturday mornings/afternoons listening to people talking about even more *GASP* maths. Well at least that's all I know so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Faerie Nuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'll be at the Maths Olympiad thingy on Saturday. It's from 10 until 1, Arts-commerce building Theatre P. Apparently it's Pr. Lafferty, though I'm not postive. I heard he's insane and impossible to follow, but i'm not sure how reliable the source is.

Thanks a mil, I finally got the letter today. With the website address on it? It figures that would happen to me :rolleyes: I'll see you tomorrow then, bright and early for all that mathsy goodness.... I can't believe his name is laffey... :o
    I've had the hiccups all day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

ah bless, hiccups all day hmmm? try a bit of water, or get yourself very very drunk very very fast, that sometimes (seems to) works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Watch out for Professor Laffey. Most (99%) people can't understand what he's saying as he repeats himself constantly.

Lectures are on in ucd in the john newman? (arts building) in Theatre P. Ring ucd if there's any confusion. I was there today, one of the few who returned to face the horror of extraordinarily difficult maths. (and Professor Laffey.)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Run Cloudy, run!!!
    Don't go to the nerd olympics, they're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring!!! I can't concentrate in that big, spooky, cold, old theatre. It's amazingly crap. But since i pressurised my mother into letting me go (believing it was like Nerd Camp) she won't let me quit it now. i can only hope they'll kick me out after they realise I hate it..

A vain fantasy..

Ahh, so I made it anyway, twasn't too bad for the first par but then laffey came in. It got very confusing very fast. He repeated all the easy obvious bits about 5 times and then skipped over explaining any part of some other bits. Grrr. :mad:
    Lessee, I saw teapot (aka lemur_option I think) Niamh, (sess1 year before last, art+art hist) Daniel (jap sess 2 this year, I'll hir your gana) and teapot wasnt entirely sure but he thinks Sim was there, I don't know him though. I think. Ahhh who cares;) lemon I don't think I know you... your names katie is it? What classes/sessions and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I was there alright, i'm katie ses 2 03 art design, ses2 04 writing for life, but not katie brady with the fire hat, other katie. I was in the horrible greek tragedy play if you saw it. everybody died at the end.
    First half of maths was grand, pretty easy to understand and follow, the second guy was okay at first, but when he started to switch pages before you had time to get anything down. I just saw fiona and rachel. though that was probably cause i was too lazy to actually look for anyone cause there were 5 girlsfrom my school to keep me company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Laffey is just scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

I'm Sim if you don't know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

anyone doing the Biology Olympiad? I am, so, um, yeah, if anyone else is, well, say you are, or, eh, not.

Well put aoibheann:D fraid not though.

hey sim, I vaguely remember you-sess1 02?? At least that's when teapot says you were there;)
    Katie, I still cant quite remember you, but dont take that personally cos for a smart person I'm almost as forgetful as Squishy B. (goldfish we hid in our room this year:D) I'd probably know you to see. Happens with lots of people; I severely pissed off paula that way if you know her :o
    Well toodles, I'm off to frantically lobby people for last minute work experience placements... wish me luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

hehe, thanks. ever to the point, that's me ;)

I checked the list, and I didnt recognise any ctyiers names, so I was just wondering. ah well. just me then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Anyone else doing some weird maths competition on Saturday? I don't know how I get myself into these things... Its my freakin mocks this week and I'm wasting precious other-subject time studying maths. I don't even LIKE maths very much!!

Advertisement