Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm System

• 19-01-2005 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭

I've just had the house robbed and it's made a right mess. It appears that people with alarms are considerably less likely to get robbed on this street than people without. Therefore, I have resolved to invest in an alarm system.

What's the best way of doing this, and how much might it cost? it's a 3-bed terraced house.

Are eircom phonewatch any good?

What about buying a kit from a place in the UK like Quicksafe?

Are 'wireless' alarms good enough, or do is there a real benefit in hard-wiring it?

Is there anybody who will install a system that will dial a preconfigured number to say there's been a break-in?

DIY might be fine, but I'm prepared to pay the money to get the right system while I'm at it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I have installed several alarms for friends, own house etc, The easiest way, if your house is not prewired, is to get a wireless alarm. I am told the batteries in the detectors last 2/3 years before they need replacing. I dont know the cost, I havent done an alarm in a couple of years. If you want to cennect it to a central station it must be installed by a qualified person to IS199. You can get diy jobbies which you can connect to an autodialer which will ring you at several numbers with a message.

Bad luck on the house robbery, been there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you get an NSAI approved crowd, it seems that you also get a discount of around 10 percent on the house insurance. This is worth around 60 eur/year to me.

You can also get the alarm monitored, and this gives an extra 5 percentage points of discount.

Can anybody recommend an NSAI-approved installer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The wireless can be good but it is fairly expensive. I always recommend a wired alarm except in extreme circumstances where wires can't be run. In that case I would use a hybrid panel (Aritech or Europlex) that take a mix of wired and wireless. In a 3 bed house I would defnitely use a wired alarm. Any good installer should be able to hide the wires

Advertisement