Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 5 is out!!!

Options
  • 19-01-2005 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Anyone good enough???
    I'd like some challege
    I'm not really good but I'm sick of playing computers.....

BTW I live in dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who cares. There are much better games available like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye. get yourself a copy of Soul Calibur 2

the tekken series bores me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

They have 3 cabinet of it in Dr. Quirkies.. and they're the busiest machines in the whole place. I don't get the appeal. They're just button mashing. The graphic design/presentation really doesn't look too good. Characters throw up these ridiculous splashes of concrete when they fall over.. it's like Marvel Vs Capcom or something.

VF4: Final Tuned and SF3: Third Strike is where its at. I don't think theres a cabinet of either in the whole ****ing country. What a pain in the arse.

On a more optimistic note Dr. Quirkies do have the new version of Outrun 2 called Special Tours. And its the deluxe cab with a huuuge projection screen. The game is massively improved on normal Outrun2 imo. The tracks are all new with more interesting sequences of turns. The collisions with traffic are far more forgiving so you get to concentrate more on the drifts. The new stages look gooooorgeous as well. The Waterfall one is just too good to be true.

They also have Ghost Squad.. which sucks. I'm surprised AM2 produced this. It's like Crisis Zone with a really bad gun and lots of enemies that jump on the screen and shoot with no warning, environments are also rotten with hostages, not what you want in a game with a rifle. Give me Virtua Cop 3 over this any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They have 3 cabinet of it in Dr. Quirkies.. and they're the busiest machines in the whole place. I don't get the appeal. They're just button mashing. The graphic design/presentation really doesn't look too good. Characters throw up these ridiculous splashes of concrete when they fall over.. it's like Marvel Vs Capcom or something.

VF4: Final Tuned and SF3: Third Strike is where its at. I don't think theres a cabinet of either in the whole ****ing country. What a pain in the arse.

On a more optimistic note Dr. Quirkies do have the new version of Outrun 2 called Special Tours. And its the deluxe cab with a huuuge projection screen. The game is massively improved on normal Outrun2 imo. The tracks are all new with more interesting sequences of turns. The collisions with traffic are far more forgiving so you get to concentrate more on the drifts. The new stages look gooooorgeous as well. The Waterfall one is just too good to be true.

They also have Ghost Squad.. which sucks. I'm surprised AM2 produced this. It's like Crisis Zone with a really bad gun and lots of enemies that jump on the screen and shoot with no warning, environments are also rotten with hostages, not what you want in a game with a rifle. Give me Virtua Cop 3 over this any day of the week.

I do prefer the soul calibre series to the tekken series but in all fairness calling tekken a 'button basher' is idiotic. Its not a button basher at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Tusky wrote:
    I do prefer the soul calibre series to the tekken series but in all fairness calling tekken a 'button basher' is idiotic. Its not a button basher at all.

I agree, it's a common misconception because it's possible to simply play it, but given the massive range of moves (e.g., even doing King's 5 stage wrestling move from Tekken 3) basically you'll get a button masher who is killed within seconds by someone who actually knows the moves. Perhaps SC is more of an in between and so is perceived as "better"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

but in all fairness calling tekken a 'button basher' is idiotic. Its not a button basher at all.

No it isn't. Its an unbalanced piece of crap. Most characters are useless since their big combos are stupidly easy to counter and then there are others with unblockable 140% health combos that are just silly. If it wasn't for DOA 3 it would be the most, eh, button mashiest of them all. The button mashing does wear off but thats about the time you recognise all the flaws in the game.

Actually, Hyungsup, you wouldn't happen to be the asian guy that hangs around the beat'em up cabinets at Dr. Quirkies and hammers everyone that tries to take you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Perhaps SC is more of an in between and so is perceived as "better"?
    SC is far more button basher friendly than tekken3 even was tbh, havent played any after 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Yeah, in fairness SC3 allows button-bashers too. I saw a female friend with next to no gaming experience play her first few games of SC3 and trounce all the hardcore guys who spent hours playing it and would usually tear an average player (like myself) to pieces.

I find SC is a good button basher as well but evens out into a much more tactical game. If you master the counters theres no way a button basher can win. Button bashers always go with the first combo that works. They are usually very predictable. there are no ridiculous cheesey moves in SC like in Tekken which is my main problem with Tekken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hyungsup

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Actually, Hyungsup, you wouldn't happen to be the asian guy that hangs around the beat'em up cabinets at Dr. Quirkies and hammers everyone that tries to take you on?
    I dunno about that
    but I use kaz and jin
    There are two other guys that I know who are very good 1 of them is asian aswell so it could be him
    I don really get to see them much so I wanna play with someone else rather than playing with cpu
    You can't get better playing cpu like most ppl here would....
    there's alot of psychological tactics. If you really get into it
    and I'd like to say this to ppl who say that tekken is a button bashing game
    you find it it's a button bashing because you can't play the game
    you can't play the game properly if you button bash in any game!!!
    I don really like soul caliber cause I'm not really good at it.....
    SC is more button bashing friendly than tekken!! u can't deny that....
    Man tekken isn't really popular in Ireland huh??

I think the graphics are mad!!!
    the ps2 version of tekken5 will have less polygons or whatever you call them...
    basically ps2 isn't powerfull enought to play the game with that graphics!!!
    So it's much better than the SC2 graphics (me think)
    the good thing about it is that you can customize the characters!!
    I think it's kinda cool

and to Retr0gamer if you are talkin about tekken is unbalanced.... well you won't be good enough to talk about that....
    I'll beat you with any character you tell me and I'll still beat you
    and you were saying that combos are easy?? ah well you must be really good at tekken then huh???
    And what's this 140% unblockable combo thingy???
    I dunno what it is.... never heard of this before and didn't here the pros saying this....
    Tell me how to do it so that I can crush my friend....
    And what are you talking about most characters are crap because the combos are easy?
    each characters have different tactics... I don see any unusable character in tekken....
    And about counters.... you know that you can counter attacks are reversible?
    And you said that if you master counters in SC then you can beat button bashers?? well in tekken you can beat them other ways such as waiting them till they do a slow recovery move and punishing them, throwing might be good but playing good players or if the opponent is button bashing punches it might not be a good idea cause you can get out of it....
    So basically if you play tekken skilled you wont be really using counters or throws which will leave you in a disadvantage making yourself in pressure.
    Man that was alot of writing.....
    Oh yeah one thing!! If you are judging tekken games playing at home.....
    Yeah PAL version of all tekken series are ****ing crap!!!!
    And one more tekken4 is a pile of SH**E
    So if you are judging tekken with these games then yeah I agree with you...
    not about tactics and whatever... but the gameplay itself
    Hoped the other tekken games had 50/60hz mode like SC2...
    Got a chipped ps2 to play ntsc ttt that how much I like tekken :)
    And I was able to play mgs3 which was cool!!

sorry to post again but all I;m interested in is if there are any ppl who likes to play tekken??
    I jus wanna get better and talk about tekken like most ppl here like to play SC and maybe talk about them

hyungsup wrote:
    And what's this 140% unblockable combo thingy???
    I think one of King's chain of throws thing does 140% damage, but I don't know if it's unblockable.
    Edit: Although I'm not talking about Tekken 5

Crucifix wrote:
    I think one of King's chain of throws thing does 140% damage, but I don't know if it's unblockable.
    Edit: Although I'm not talking about Tekken 5
    The 5 chain throws are always avoidable! and it doesn'tdo 140% does it???
    anyway 5chain throws only works to newbies who just sit and watch
    if you press the "right"(not direction) punch button(s) at the "right" time then you can get away.....
    And yeah I'm talking about every tekken series.....
    No moves are unavoidable
    Just because you can't block doesn't mean that you can't avoid it like other games

Yeah, King's things are easy to dodge, and possible to reverse. But they're unblockable (you can't just block them), and at least on chain did over 100%. I'm basing this on Tekken 3 and Tekken tag.

I've seen some ridiculous juggle combo videos on the net that can deal more than 100% damage. Basically if you can't avoid the juggle initiator than you're screwed.

I was judging the games on the Tekken series before 5. 4 really was a terrible game and those juggle combos i'm talking about are rife and only a few characters had them making some useless. As for Tag you could tell that Namco knocked the game out in 6 months. 2 and 3 were decent enough but had too many useless characters.
    I think one of King's chain of throws thing does 140% damage, but I don't know if it's unblockable

There are quite a few moves like that in the Tekken series but they are usually so obvious and take so long that they are only useful in humiliating newbies :)
    Yeah PAL version of all tekken series are ****ing crap!!!!

Not any more thanks to Sega for making PAL 60Hz mode a standard in most games especially fighting games.

My biggest gripe about tekken is that as a mostly realistic martial arts fighting game it has always been out classed by the Virtua Figther series since VF2.

Crucifix wrote:
    Yeah, King's things are easy to dodge, and possible to reverse. But they're unblockable (you can't just block them), and at least on chain did over 100%. I'm basing this on Tekken 3 and Tekken tag.
    You can crouch when throwing....
    You only throw to ppl who seems to keep blocking constantly
    But throwing should not be abused
    Ppl who play king don't really use the multi throws
    And as far as I know I think it was soul edge or soul caliber that 1~2 characters had a killer combo..... so If you get hit by that you are dead... how do u explain that?
    And what do u mean by namco pulling out tag in 6months???
    I rekon it's really good! that's the game why I started playing tekken
    And if you are talking about huge damaging combos then u must be thinking about wall combos
    Just like you are at the edge of the ring in VF and SC you are pretty screwed if you are in a wall in tekken.
    And if you are saying that tekken is unrealistic yeah it's unrealistic just like VF and SC
    If you want a realistic fighting game play boxing game of somthing
    VF seems a bit too slow for me....
    I think they are all good games but tekken is just right for me.....

hyungsup wrote:
    You can crouch when throwing....
    You only throw to ppl who seems to keep blocking constantly
    But throwing should not be abused
    Ppl who play king don't really use the multi throws
    Fair enough.

Tag probably was banged out in a hurry, but it's not horribly flawed it just didn't improve hugely on Tekken 3.
    If Juggles are featuring more and more I'm ticked off. I got bored of Tekken Tag when I worked out how to do killer juggles with Jin.

Crucifix wrote:
    Fair enough.

Tag probably was banged out in a hurry, but it's not horribly flawed it just didn't improve hugely on Tekken 3.
    If Juggles are featuring more and more I'm ticked off. I got bored of Tekken Tag when I worked out how to do killer juggles with Jin.
    Yeah jin is really powerful in tekken tag but he didn't have 10frame jab
    if you pick julia and michelle you can get your ass kicked
    Ogres were great and I saw lots of hwoarang and baek players around(not in Ireland)
    There are some guy who can kick my ass with jacks even though they are really slow and stuff....
    Bryan and bruce are crazy..... ling is very fast and good....
    anna was good I think....
    And I don like to remember my defeat from ganryu and roger.....
    I know that jin is really powerful so I used him alot but surely he has weakness as well which I know that he doesn't have alot compared to other characters...
    How do you do this killer juggle with jin???
    I rekon I'm pretty experience player in Ireland but most damage I can get was half the energy bar on ling or julia.... They have smaller energy bars cause they are girls but faster and jacks have more energy bar but slower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭batman_oh

its a common misconception by people that really dont know a lot that tekken is masher friendly and virtua fighter is some form of god game
    ive played with europes best virtua fighter and tekken player-yes hes the best at both, ryan hart
    viruta fighter sucks the fun out of games, it is too strategical and its funny that any1 here shud mention it because nobody in this country has a breeze how to play it, ive seen the highest level and i know
    same goes for tekken, ive played against the best in europe and while it maybe be an enjoyable game for a masher they will never win against some1 who has any notion of whats goin on. hell this time 2 years ago when tekken 4 was released there were people ravin on here about how great it was and when i said it was crap compared to tag i was told i know nothing coz i didnt play it, so i played for a week and won the irish tournament without losin a round. in general people dont play at a high level here because games arent so popular in arcades anymore, in the usa, japan and korea the true fightin game experts are
    tekken 4 was crap yes, but in ttt nothing came close to 100% anything
    nothing is guranteed that does this kinda damage
    all throws and multis are escpable
    ten strings are useless
    and t5 is very very balanced, in that every1 can do enormous damage
    i feel tekken 4 gave a bad impression of the whole series along with the abysmal pal versions of t3 and ttt
    tekken is the biggest arcade game in korea,ttt was almost a national sport there and to watch them play u can truly understand what its like
    give it a try 1 euro a pop and 2 for a card with which u can customise ur character
    i cud do with more people to play
    rant over

:D

As for super juggle combo's, I played king in Tekken3 a fair bit, and im almost certain his best juggle combo is only 80 damage, which while being a massive chunk, the last hit can be countered from time to time with certain charecters (depending on how close you are with the first hit, and the timing of the other hits), and the last hit is 39 damage, nearly half of it. Itsb y far the most powerful juggle Ive seen, even with hworang the best I have seen is 61.

Feck sake, does anybody ever stop to actually read other peoples posts around here?I said "They're button mashing". I didn't say the way to play Tekken 5 is to button mash. I was just complaining about the bunch of monkeys playing it down Dr. Quirkies.

Tekken is very much a skill based game. In fact, it really takes alot more practice to play at a high level than VF. The first thing you have to do is learn every single character in the roster. There aren't any fundamental rules for how moves connect like in Street Fighter or VF so you have to just learn the priorities from trial and error. Then you have to learn off the big long defence strings for those 10 hit combos.. and that's just to get started. The designers haven't made an effort to make a simple, logical system so I don't see why I should have to wade through that ****e when there are perfectly good alternatives.

Feck sake, does anybody ever stop to actually read other peoples posts around here?I said "They're button mashing". I didn't say the way to play Tekken 5 is to button mash. I was just complaining about the bunch of monkeys playing it down Dr. Quirkies.

Tekken is very much a skill based game. In fact, it really takes alot more practice to play at a high level than VF. The first thing you have to do is learn every single character in the roster. There aren't any fundamental rules for how moves connect like in Street Fighter or VF so you have to just learn the priorities from trial and error. Then you have to learn off the big long defence strings for those 10 hit combos.. and that's just to get started. The designers haven't made an effort to make a simple, logical system so I don't see why I should have to wade through that ****e when there are perfectly good alternatives.
    Yeah the bunch of monkey playing it down at Dr.Quirkey's are ****e that's why I wanted some challenge and ppl like you are just saying how ****e the game is....
    Read my first post man.... I didn't want to talk about tekken here I wanna talk about who's interested in playing with me......
    you are the one who should stop and read some of other ppl's posts
    And you are wrong about that you should learn every char in the roster....
    You should fight with every char in the roster to be good
    And if you said that you should learn every char in the roster then that means that you are saying ppl who say tekken is unbalanced is a false statement
    And to show you that you are ****e at tekken it only takes you few second to avoid 10hit combos... they are for ppl who are ****e at tekken.
    The designers made a simple logical system but the thing is that you are not good enough to play that game....
    So I guess you don wanna play me.....
    Anyone else wanna play me???

Oh one more thing.... If you wanna say that the game is ****e you should be able to play good in it and then criticize...
    it's like ppl studying literature critisizing ppl who study maths saying it's a ****e subject and have no use for it... and maths ppl critisizing literature.....
    there's no point cause they don't know their opponents well enough.....

One more thing..... just because you don't know doesn't mean that it doesn't exist....
    No fundamental rules like VF??? mmmmmmm that can't be possible cause every thing has rules.....
    Everything...... if there are no rules then it can't be a game......
    game is built on rules.......
    I really don wanna discuss tekken with you cause i feel I'm wasting my time...

Pugsley wrote:
    As for super juggle combo's, I played king in Tekken3 a fair bit, and im almost certain his best juggle combo is only 80 damage, which while being a massive chunk, the last hit can be countered from time to time with certain charecters (depending on how close you are with the first hit, and the timing of the other hits), and the last hit is 39 damage, nearly half of it. Itsb y far the most powerful juggle Ive seen, even with hworang the best I have seen is 61.
    80 damage... is this from practice mode???
    Cause not every char has 100points for damage....
    I remember that T.Ogre had 150 or something....
    but yeah 80 damage is alot for king's combos man!!!
    If you try it out in normal vs play check out how much it takes off the cpu's energy bar

I'm just bitter about the fact they don't have any VF: Final Tuned in this country. In fact, I don't think there's any in the UK either. And it's unlikely to get a port because Evolution didn't sell that well.

What I like about VF is every move has a height category. Low beats high. Middle beats low. High beats middle. With Tekken the priorities are all over the place. If they sorted this out I'd have more time for it. Sure it'd be less flashy and the animation wouldn't be as smooth but I think it's worth making tradeoffs to make gameplay more accessable.

I just adore Namco arcade games, the Ridge Racer and Time Crisis series in particular, but I think Tekken could do with rethinking its gameplay system so that more people make the transition from button masher to the next level.

Fair point on the 10 hit combo thing. I haven't played Tekken much since #3 and had forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

No it isn't. Its an unbalanced piece of crap. Most characters are useless since their big combos are stupidly easy to counter and then there are others with unblockable 140% health combos that are just silly..

King's throw combo as well as Nina's throw combo is easily stopped.. as for 10 hit combos given the time to practise them, you will see that when you perfect a 10 hit combo you can easily block it or counter it...

As for the button bashing people... nah folks, when it gets to the level of chickens and baiting that used to happen with my friends, every battle is vicious and exciting... fantasticly rewarding (fun games of 10 random fighter team battle between good players..)

like all games.. there are vast differences between new/competent/skilled/master players... and you really have to know your opponent's character to master the baiting/chickens after that you have get a sense of upcoming moves from your opponent (if you've played him\her a couple of times)..

I generally rely on shock tactics from Bryan & heihachi's moves/counters.. I like Nina & Hworang for quick and powerful combos... I'd never really try a 10 hit combo on skilled players due to that some of the counters can leave you in a worse position.. and I wouldnt sit back and block an entire 10 hit combo string.. i'd chicken\reversal it.. I see a lot of people would equate the Tekken combo system to KI 1, but no folks.. its a hell of a lot harder than it sounds

Hopefully Tekken 5 has removed a lot of crappy air Juggles that plagued Tekken 3 + 4... this would may ruin Paul but I dont use him ;)..

Can i get Info on Bryan/Heihachi, any bad/good changes?...

[edit]:( Heihachi is gone :( Jinpachi Mishima could be the replacement wo0T[/edit]

King's throw combo as well as Nina's throw combo is easily stopped.. as for 10 hit combos given the time to practise them, you will see that when you perfect a 10 hit combo you can easily block it or counter it...

As for the button bashing people... nah folks, when it gets to the level of chickens and baiting that used to happen with my friends, every battle is vicious and exciting... fantasticly rewarding (fun games of 10 random fighter team battle between good players..)

like all games.. there are vast differences between new/competent/skilled/master players... and you really have to know your opponent's character to master the baiting/chickens after that you have get a sense of upcoming moves from your opponent (if you've played him\her a couple of times)..

I generally rely on shock tactics from Bryan & heihachi's moves/counters.. I like Nina & Hworang for quick and powerful combos... I'd never really try a 10 hit combo on skilled players due to that some of the counters can leave you in a worse position.. and I wouldnt sit back and block an entire 10 hit combo string.. i'd chicken\reversal it.. I see a lot of people would equate the Tekken combo system to KI 1, but no folks.. its a hell of a lot harder than it sounds

Hopefully Tekken 5 has removed a lot of crappy air Juggles that plagued Tekken 3 + 4... this would may ruin Paul but I dont use him ;)..

Can i get Info on Bryan/Heihachi, any bad/good changes?...

[edit]:( Heihachi is gone :( Jinpachi Mishima could be the replacement wo0T[/edit]

Errrr in tekken 5 paul is much better than 4... well that's my opinion!!!
    his punches seem to be much faster!!!
    And I don think jinpachi would be selectable.....
    And what to you mean by crappy air juggles??? I jus dunno... sorry....
    I find it much easier to do any juggles than tekken tag so easier than t3 which is pretty much same game... well that's my opinion....
    Well most of ppl here would still find it hard.... like 3 godfists with kaz
    Oh yeah chickening is when you reverse a counter attack.....
    I think you might be getting mixed up... do u wanna play tekken with me??

And to BLITZ_Molloy
    Low beats high. Middle beats low. High beats middle.....
    well yeah.... it seem to be very easy.....
    well in tekken you can't really follow that rule....
    fast high move can counter a slow low move and stuff....
    like in tekken tag jin's ewgf can counter jin's f,d,d/f+4
    it depends on what kinda move you use.....
    so when you are playin tekken you would be thinkin if he's gonna attack low...
    if you think he is then would you block and attack him while he recovers from his move? or will you counter him?
    And reach will be a big influence aswell!!
    If your char has long arms then you will use it to attack!
    So you would be able to attack more far away which would be much more safer!!
    So many things can happen so you need good tactics!!
    Well according to this guy.... maybe VF isn't a good fighting game at all!!
    I have VF evo at home but there are absolutely no one to play with so I was never good at it....
    Can't learn tactics without playing with humans.... beating cpu is nothing....
    hey.... is the game was so simple like Low beats high. Middle beats low. High beats middle..... well I would rather play tetris.....
    i say even tetris would have more tactics than "Low beats high. Middle beats low. High beats middle."
    No offence to ya buy are you sure you know the game right?
    I heard alot of Irish saying they are the best in tekken and he was in the mag for it......
    He got trashed by this guy I know....
    Actually batman_oh is the best at tekken tag and he is best at tekken 4(in IReland)
    I think he said that he admit he's not really good at tekken 4.......
    I remember saying he played tekken4 just for the comp(free games for a year and free hotel plane ticket to london to play there....)

Nothing really edited but..... man I've wrote a lot of bull**** here.... :)

hyungsup wrote:
    80 damage... is this from practice mode???
    Yea I know diffrent charecters have diffrent healths etc, but the straight damage point system in Practice is always the same, gives you something to relate to, most people have about 130 health, think ogre and T.ogre have a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭batman_oh

any1 wanna get owned at tekken tag :D

Advertisement