Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of IBB people tryin 2 access my laptop

Options
  • 19-01-2005 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

just noticed over the last couple of weeks that a lot of IBB connected computers are trying to access my computer, luckly my firewall blocks them, but is this normal to get over 1000 attempted access's over 7hrs, ive traced them and there on the IBB servers and are located in dublin.
    Any Ideas, i assume this is the norm.
    Or is it? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I use peerguardian occassionally for curiousity more than anything and ive seen some strange attempted connections but never IBB. I have mcafee firewall on all the time and no indication of this either...im on the breeze service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sluice44

Hi Sparky,
    I've a 1mb IBB conneciton which I use for VPN access into company HQ in the UK. Like you, I noticed lots of attacks on my computer recently. My IT dept said I have to 'expose' some ports on my computer when using VPN (for authentication purposes) and my software firewall (Symantec) is stopping the attacks but not 'hiding' the ports properly. Hence all the attention.

They say I've got to buy a hardware router/firewall thingy. Are your ports hidden properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

maybe if all the other people on ibb dont have secure pcs then they are broadcasting default windows services? and or ridden with viruses what ports are they trying to connect to you on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anybody know of any good articles anywhere on how to close ports? Even though I have a router with firewall shields up tells me that a couple of ports are open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

What ports are open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Get ZoneAlarm (its free) instead that crappy symantec firewall. Try it as a first step.

Most wireless routers contain a decent firewall now. Just be aware that getting a VPN to work with some of them can be a pig at best and impossible at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Be very careful to uninstall the Symantec firewall first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Or if you have the netopia wireless router/modem eircom provide you can upgrade it with the breakwater firewall for 39.99. I've done this, and every port on my pc is now stealthed and not visible. The only minus is that if you are downloading torrents you really need to enable one port (pinhole) so you need to turn off the firewall for this, but then you can use a software firewall like zonealarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Guys,

I've got a smoothwal set up and it is unreal the amount of portscans etc that is being done by machines on the IBB network.

But thats not all I have rebuilt it a numbr of times and it is amazing to see some of the first traffic to hit the firewall when it comes back up originates from russia or china.

Tip

• Advertisement
Advertisement