Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chorus bounce - now owned by a former owner

Options
  • 19-01-2005 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

According to El Reg: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/18/lmi_ugc_merger/

UGC, which owns Chorus has just merged with Liberty Media International which recently sold Chorus to UGC.
    The newly formed company - Liberty Global - will be one of the largest owners and operators of broadband communications systems outside the US with a share in companies serving more than 14m punters in 17 countries.

UGC already owns 53% of Liberty. Such oddness in all these recent consolidations. Guess it keeps the lawyers rich.

Damien.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I wonder will they be interested in NTL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't think the Competition Authority would allow a merger.

O'Reilly sold his stake in Liberty didn't he?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

IIRC UGC are one of the intrested parties for NTL Ireland. It's basically going to mean (if it's allowed through after antitrust considerations) that a fair portion of the population will have a completely seperate access network from a nationwide (nae, multinational) cableco. Eircom won't be best pleased if that occurs because it could very well mean sudden and intense competition for voice and data customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I will never be able to get cable tv anyway so it'll be fun to see a significant competitor to Eircom. What happens to Cable TV wont affect me but eircom's reaction will :)

Advertisement