Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA to RAID 0 SATA

Options
  • 19-01-2005 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Here's a Q!

I got my main drive running on standard SATA connection and i was thinking of buying two fast raptors and setting them up as a RAID 0 configuration while in the mean time trying to keep all my data , Is it possible to do this without having to re-install all my stuff?

I know RAID 0 is really overkill for a pc that isn't a server/heavy graphics machine I just really want to play around with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

well if you have more than 2 sata ports, simply install the raptors, raid them, install windows, then connect up the other drive to one of the other ports, and windows will see it as a new logical drive (you may have to import it in disk management in admistration tools), and get access to all your data

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Superman wrote:
    Is it possible to do this without having to re-install all my stuff?

No. You will have to re-install the OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

unkel wrote:
    No. You will have to re-install the OS

Not really , almost all Disc makers utility discs have the means to copy entire drives over.

Ie if Windows is on 1st Raind port adding in 2 more drives then using the disc to copy to them and when told to shutdown and reconfig drives you do.

/I did this only last week :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

KdjaC wrote:
    Not really , almost all Disc makers utility discs have the means to copy entire drives over.

Ie if Windows is on 1st Raind port adding in 2 more drives then using the disc to copy to them and when told to shutdown and reconfig drives you do.

/I did this only last week :)

kdjac

This can be done with onboard raid, please explain some more because ill need to do this in the future.

Advertisement