Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed urgently, calling all animal lovers!

• 21-01-2005 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Ok,

I have just been given a hamster, whos owners were not looking after it and it had become part of the furniture.....

Hes a lovely chappy, completely tame and very sociable.

My problem is, he came in this ridiculous wire and plastic cage, which I am sure he will escape from asap (apparently hes famous for it:rolleyes: )..... either that or will injure himself. dosent help that i have cats just a cpl of rooms away.

Does Anyone have an old small aquarium (pref plastic but glass will do), maybe u have an old leaky one sitting around? That you would be prepared to give or sell me? :)

The important thing is that it needs to be "around" 2 foot or under. Im quickly running out of space in this zoo of a house of mine ;)

I will be prepared to pay a reasonable price.

B

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive a small tank you can have.Its only about 18 inches by 10 wide by 10 high.It has a hinged plastic lid on it.
    Dont want anything for it either.
    Pm me if this suits.
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭pama

or you could post on irishanimals.ie - you might get some help there. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Hi Franknfurter, is an aquarium the best thing? Are you not better off with the ventilation of a wire cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Hi Franknfurter, is an aquarium the best thing? Are you not better off with the ventilation of a wire cage?

Yeah. A mate of mine bought a gerbal and put it in a small fishtank, a week later it was dead. We thought it was the heat that got him. Normally those things would be in cool holes under the ground. Can get very warm in a fish tank even without a lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Thanks for the offer hellrazer.

In the end I was in B&Q earlier and had a brainwave!
    I bought one of those huge clear storage tubs, and made one not unlike this.... http://home.comcast.net/~zasboy/hamster/bin2.jpg
    He seems delighted! :)

As far as it goes re ventilation, It is 90% open on top covered only by wire mesh, Between that and the 30 holes drilled in the sides, its plenty ventilated, on hot days, it will be in a room with practically no light, which has a fan running pretty much all the time.

He seems a bit shellshocked after all the stress the poor little bugger has had to go thru, so im leaving him to settle into his new home in a dark room. :)

Thanks again for the help.

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

looks nice, you might want to drill a few more holes near the bottom of it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The plastic sotrage boxes are used a lot for gerbils and hamters, provided they have enough venitilation and kept in a dry, non sunny spot they seem to work very well...also larger than a lot of hamster cages sold in shops. It looks really nice, well done only wish there were more B&Qs around the country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Yep, looks cool.

I used to keep gerbils in three interlinked fishtanks half filled with moss peat, the all fared very well, and no heat death, kept the peat slightly damp to keep the dust down, but also allowed for better digging. I had those claer plastic tube connecting them. All of them (17) were wvery hppy running through them, sister wasn't though, they were against her partition wall and the noise of claws on plastic at night.......

Advertisement