Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Dect Phone - SMS Possible here?

Options
  • 21-01-2005 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a Panasonic Dect wireless phone yesterday -
    http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/details.asp?prodID=510&title=Panasonic+Dect+Phones

These are meant to be SMS capable but so far ive had no luck. Weve got an eircom a/c, w/caller ID - thats all you need afaik but the text messages just come back after about 10 mins.

Before i start ringing Eircom, and all the pain that this would entail, has anyone successfully used one of these to text in Ireland? Or would you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Don't hit me if I am wrong but as far as I know you can only sms other people with an sms-compatible landline-phone, not mobiles. Call Eircom to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

hope I'm wrong, but maybe the .co.uk in the address of the webshop is why it's not working in .ie land...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

its sorted.
    the phone needs a incoming & outgoing number to be entered in it for a sms gateway.
    eircon dont mention this fact on the website re landline sms or in the phonebook. had to ring panasonic after being left on hold by eircon forever :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

qwertz wrote:
    Don't hit me if I am wrong but as far as I know you can only sms other people with an sms-compatible landline-phone, not mobiles. Call Eircom to be sure.
    I can send/receive SMS messages between my Eircom line and mobiles. However, I had been under the same impression as you and only discovered I was wrong when I tried sending to a mobile to see what happened.

Regards

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Good to know otherwise this feature would be pretty pointless. But I wouldn't be surprised since we are dealing with Ireland's No1 telco :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought a siemens 5210 in the UK and apparently it is suitable for texting however I haven't got the Numbers for the txt centre.
    I tried ring eircon but I may as well be talking to a lump of cheese for all the help the "helpline" was.
    Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Message Centre 1 - 174099000
    Message Centre 2 - 0818365135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK you can only send SMS to Irish mobiles and land line numbers. If they (landline) don't have a compatible handset the text is left as spoken message on their Call Answering mailbox.

Advertisement