Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nose piercing

Options
  • 21-01-2005 3:24am

I'm not a piercing/tattoos kind of person, as the only thing I have done so far is my earlobes! But recently I've really been wanting to get a nose stud. I don't want to end up regretting it, so I was wondering a few things.

- Around how much does it cost to get pierced?
    - What kind of stud or whatever should I get it pierced with?
    - Is it common to have problems with this piercing, and what are they? I keep hearing about the 'white bump', what exactly causes this? I saw a girl with one the other day and it looked horrible. Is it common to get them?
    - Is it hard to look after (aftercare etc) and how long does it take to heal (when can you change the jewellery)?

And the most important would be, is it an area that closes over easily when you take the piercing out? I'm 19 now and I know I won't want it forever, probably will take it out after a few years. I'm just majorly concerned about their being a noticeable hole/bump.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

ok you will get alot of different answers for a question like this my best bet is to do this
    check out these sites.
    see the jewlery ect, and find what you like. asking other people what you should get done is a bad idea piercings and tattoos are very personal.

http://www.snakebite.ie/

http://www.celestialring.com/

• Thanks for the links.
    Just to be clear, I'm not asking what piercing I can get or what the jewellery should look like, I'll look at that myself. I want to know from people who have experience what is the safest way to do it, I know there is more than one kind of 'stud' they can use for piercing your nose and I wanna know what to check for, hygiene wise when I'm in the piercing place.

best bet it get it done with needle, and go for small mm to start off with plain basic one

unless you wanna do this...???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ooh bloody...
    now why would you want to go and do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I'm not a piercing/tattoos kind of person, as the only thing I have done so far is my earlobes! But recently I've really been wanting to get a nose stud. I don't want to end up regretting it, so I was wondering a few things.

- Around how much does it cost to get pierced?
    - What kind of stud or whatever should I get it pierced with?
    - Is it common to have problems with this piercing, and what are they? I keep hearing about the 'white bump', what exactly causes this? I saw a girl with one the other day and it looked horrible. Is it common to get them?
    - Is it hard to look after (aftercare etc) and how long does it take to heal (when can you change the jewellery)?

And the most important would be, is it an area that closes over easily when you take the piercing out? I'm 19 now and I know I won't want it forever, probably will take it out after a few years. I'm just majorly concerned about their being a noticeable hole/bump.

Q1 It'll cost you approx 35-40 euro.
    Q2 Most piercers use a nostril screw
    http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?jewelry=nose&type=Nosescrews&filter=customyes&ProductID=1377

as this puts the least tension on the piercing & are discreet. You could get a ring if you pefer but they are more likely to get pulled about (think hairbrush accidentally making contact!) and don't accomodate swelling in the nose as well

Q3 problems aren't common if it's properly looked after. the white bump you saw was most likely a hypertrophic scar which are usually caused by trauma to the piercing or infection.

Q4 aftercare is simple. clean the outside twice daily with a cottonbud using the cleaning solution your piercer should give you and use salt soaks as needed. I found a salt soak every second day for the first week and then 3 times a week for the next 3 weeks worked really well for me. It's best to wait at the very least 3 months preferably 6 before changing the jewellery.

hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

I got mine done in the Celestial Ring with a nostril screw.
    Not something I'd get done again, quite sore. Made my eye water.
    It took a year to heal completely.
    Make sure you don't touch it with dirty hands. Facial piercings are a bit harder to heal but make sure you don't get any face creams or make up in it (don't know if your a girl or a boy sorry)

It can get pretty sore and red if you accidentally pull it (which I did a few times). I changed the stud after about 4-5 months.

But if you look after it you shouldn't have any problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

yeah its ment to be quite painful in fact the most painful according to my pirecer

Advertisement