Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with Ford Focus

Options
  • 21-01-2005 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

I have a focus, 1.4, 2000. Recentley it started to completely stall. I could be slowing down or stopping and the car would just switch off. A couple of lights come on, (the orange one with the engine looking symbol on it, sorry im female). But before it goes dead the display screen on the radio goes all blurry. I havent turned on the radio in the last couple of days and it hasnt gone dead on me. Any ideas? Also, dunno if this is a common problem but the car shudders while driving. I feel it really bad around the pedals. Is it the engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Bring it to a mechanic as soon as possible and get it checked. The shuddering could be something as simple as an unbalanced wheel (which might be felt through the steering wheel) or it could be more serious or potentially harmful, feeling things through the pedals could indicate a brake problem. The stalling could be due to lots of stuff but a mechanic will tell you quickly.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

This happens to my focus aswell, do your revs go up and down a lot when ur at idle?? if they do they can hook ur car up and there a later calibration that will fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Havent really noticed anything about the revs cause I only have it a couple of weeks. But i'll keep that in mind if it ever does happen. Thanx. Interceptor, I have it booked in with the mechanic on Monday so hopefully he'll find the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

my focus started to stall when I was messing around with the air intake. You could possibly need something as simple as a new filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Did you buy it privately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Lexie wrote:
    I have a focus, 1.4, 2000. Recentley it started to completely stall. I could be slowing down or stopping and the car would just switch off. .....
    But before it goes dead the display screen on the radio goes all blurry.
    Any ideas? Also, dunno if this is a common problem but the car shudders while driving. I feel it really bad around the pedals. Is it the engine?

Could be several things;
    The shuddering and stalling could be related. Q. Was the onset of shuddering con-incident with the stalling or not.

Shuddering could come from unbalanced driveshafts or wheels.

It could also come from engine misfires.

Engine misfires could come from low voltage, as could the radio problems.

So it may be no more than a bad/loose/corroded/failed battery/alternator and/or terminal wires.

The electronics behind the dash in mine go whacko, just before the battery fails.... after a few times I have come to recognise the symptoms.

Advertisement