Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Clubs

Options
  • 21-01-2005 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

I've heard that several new pistol clubs are in the process of forming. What exactly is the process of forming a recognised club?

(Assume suitable ground has been sourced)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

civdef wrote:
    I've heard that several new pistol clubs are in the process of forming. What exactly is the process of forming a recognised club?

(Assume suitable ground has been sourced)

My understanding is that a committee would need to be formed,a constitution and rules to then be agreed by the committee,affiliation to a recognised shooting body i.e. Shooting Sports Association of Ireland or other recognised body. Membership fees and terms and conditions of membership would also need to be dealt with. Almost forgot,insurance, Countryside Alliance ,Ireland are AFIK the only company covering pistols currently. I think that's it, maybe others can add if I have missed something.

A Safety Statement may also be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's fairly loose in terms of legal documents and so forth if you want an informal club. However, a fair few clubs register as limited-by-guarantee companies, which gives a few advantages in terms of enforcement of rules and so forth. In that case, there are some things that do need to be done - you need at least two directors, you need articles of association (the corporate equivalent of a constitution) and a memorandum of association (a document stating the purpose of the company), and one or two other things like having an AGM and sending an annual report in to the companies registration office. This makes the club a legal entity, allows members to have the rules of the club enforced by a third party (preventing any one individual from riding roughshod over club rules with a sufficently bloody-minded approach to things) and makes some things like applying for grants and so forth a little easier. (This is how the NTSA is set up, for example).

Once the club is formed, by the way, there are several things they should be doing - applying for capital grants being one, talking to their Local Sports Partnership is another. A chat with the local superintendent is also a good idea so that when the members sign off as being members of such-and-such shooting club on their firearms licence forms, the super knows it's a legitimate club.

Advertisement