Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing connection inside router

Options
  • 21-01-2005 11:24am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been having a problem on and off since I installed a new router at the beginning of December. All was running smoothly for th first couple of weeks, but now I keep losing net access for hours at a time.

When it happens, I can still see the router's config page with a browser, there are both valid WAN and LAN IP addresses, but I can't connect to the outside.
    Rebootingthe PC, resetting the cable modem and router don't help. However, after a few hours it invariably fixes itself. When it happened yesterday, I removed the router, connected the PC directly to the cable modem and reset the connection. I regained net access.

I'm a bit puzzled as to what exactly is happening. If the router was crashing, then resetting it should fix the problem, and it shouldn't come back on line by itself. Also, I should lose the WAN address of the router in that case.

The only theory I can come up with is that the router is overheating after extended use and some connection is conking out, then reactivating itself when it cools down. Does that sound plausible? If so, how would I go about demonstrating the fault so as to get the router exchanged?

Advertisement