Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Bush's salute

Options
  • 21-01-2005 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Was watching coverage of the inauguration last night and there was a piece shown when he was reviewing the parade and some Texas band was going by and he (and mrs Bush and the two daughters) all seemed to salute them witha two fingered sign ( :confused: not that one!), but one in which the index and little finger were raised - anyone know what this is about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

maybe Bush is a homie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As in a peace sign?

Well, like, duh... Bush is _all_ about peace and love and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

ArthurDent wrote:
    Was watching coverage of the inauguration last night and there was a piece shown when he was reviewing the parade and some Texas band was going by and he (and mrs Bush and the two daughters) all seemed to salute them witha two fingered sign ( :confused: not that one!), but one in which the index and little finger were raised - anyone know what this is about?

The marching band were probably from a large Texas college (Texas Tec, Texas A&M) that all the Bushes attended and the salute was some sort of college tradition
    In the States a persons affiliation to their alma mater is a big thing when it come to sports, marching bands, donations to the college etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bull horns I'd say. Longhorns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

por wrote:
    The marching band were probably from a large Texas college (Texas Tec, Texas A&M) that all the Bushes attended and the salute was some sort of college tradition
    In the States a persons affiliation to their alma mater is a big thing when it come to sports, marching bands, donations to the college etc.

ok this makes sense - cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

uberwolf wrote:

Looked like the sign of the devil like they give to ozzy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hobbes wrote:
    Looked like the sign of the devil like they give to ozzy. :)
    I only caught briefly, to me it looked like his daughter was rocking out to Stars and Stripes Forever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

uberwolf wrote:

UT's Longhorns
    Funny that was the college Bush couldn't get into...then Harvard accepted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

landser wrote:
    maybe Bush is a homie

Or a Motley Crue fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

sovtek wrote:
    UT's Longhorns
    Funny that was the college Bush couldn't get into...then Harvard accepted him.
    Bush didn't get into UT, but Yale accepted him. It's his MBA degree that's from Harvard.

The University of Texas shout "Hook 'em Horns!" is sometimes yelled while making that hand gesture. It represents their mascot - a Longhorn steer. It's always looked bizarre to me. I'm not surprised it seemed so strange to the Norwegians - only with a worse meaning. Maybe it should be the new brand for "homie-land security." wink.gif

Advertisement