Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this even possible?

Options
  • 21-01-2005 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

ok, this is a request i haven't come across before...

is it possible to have a live feed of screenshots from a pc transmitting to the web via a link? i'll try to explain this a little better... a system where by you could just click on a link [eg. www.boards.ie/livefeed.html] and see a screenshot of what a specific pc is working on [it will only be one pc]. Then the page would automatically refresh every 15 seconds.

i have heard of how telnet can be setup to view AND control a remote pc on the fly, but this is not what i'm after because you have to install/setup stuff on each pc for that. i want anyone to be able to access this feed from the net.

it's a long shot, but any help or advice would be greatly appeciated :D

dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's certainly possible, but I suspect you'll have to write the code yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Do you want to show what is on the screen at 15 second intervals?

I wonder could you use VNC to connect to the machine (it would have to have the VNC server running), take a screenshot (sent Alt-PrintScreen to Explorer process?) and save the clipboard to a file for uploading somewhere.
    Alternately have the PC of interest take the screenshot and send the file somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

thanx for the feedback, i have an idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

ok, i can't go the vnc route.

what i'd like to do is this:
    a program that would take a screenshot [initiated by the user], save it to jpg and ftp upload it to a secure server area of a website. then a client could [with the login details] view the image. and each time a screenshot is taken and uploaded it would replace the last image.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would say it's possible alright, but may involve quite a lot of custom code.

1) send a request from the website to the PC that you want to the screenshot of.
    This can be done in a number of ways - maybe a listener application on the screenshot pc that the webserver sends a tcp request to?

2) PC takes the screenshot and saves it as jpeg
    This probably shouldn't be too hard - I did a quick search on google, and this page was the first result.

3) PC FTP's the screenshot back to the webserver.
    This is probably the easiest part, if you are using Win NT or later the command line FTP works fine, and can be integrated into a script...

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Actually, you could probably cut out stage 1 there with the "at" command (I'm unsure as to the syntax, but if I recall correctly it's Windows NT/2000/XPs equivalent of a cron tab).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JustHalf wrote:
    Actually, you could probably cut out stage 1 there with the "at" command (I'm unsure as to the syntax, but if I recall correctly it's Windows NT/2000/XPs equivalent of a cron tab).

I think you're right, but it looks like the screenshot should be on request, rather than scheduled
    a program that would take a screenshot [initiated by the user],

Though, if you scheduled it for every minute, it should have pretty much the same result...

Eoin

Advertisement