Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having a problem with Radio 4 reception on NTL?

Options
  • 21-01-2005 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I had crystal clear reception for all the Ntl radio stations via the FM socket.

It has deteriorated recently. NTL says that their output is fine and want to book a service call.

I think that the problem is at their end as all the other stations are crystal clear.

Second question. I presume that I can't get listenable Radio 4 quality on a car radio. I got it in Dundalk recently, but it weakened as I drove towards Dublin.

Brendan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont trust anything NTL tell you! Five live went missing for 3 days here and they insisted it was'nt anything at thier end. It was.

Radio 4 can be heard on LW 198 if your car radio has that waveband.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What frequency is BBC R4 on NTL? I know that NTL regard the FM relay as a legacy system and will not be adding any more stations or upgrading it. It may be possible that a source in your locality may be causing interference - this could be anything from another radio station to an iPod (iTrip) user being in the vicinity/

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭BrendanBurgess

Thanks for the comments.

Here are the frequencies for Dublin cable: http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/frequency.html#dublin%20radio

I hope that they don't discontinue it, as it's the best way to listen to radio.

I responded to NTL and told them that I didn't believe them and that they should listen to the station for themselves. They replied that they had done so and that the signal was perfect and again offered to send out a service guy. And what do you know? Tonight, Radio 4 is indeed crystal clear having suffered interference for at least two weeks. It may be coincidence. It may be that my elderly neighbour has switched off her iPod. I don't really know.

Yes I have Long Wave in the car, but the reception is not great. I wouldn't regard it as listenable. Perhaps I need a better car radio?

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I responded to NTL and told them that I didn't believe them and that they should listen to the station for themselves. They replied that they had done so and that the signal was perfect and again offered to send out a service guy. And what do you know? Tonight, Radio 4 is indeed crystal clear having suffered interference for at least two weeks. It may be coincidence.

Thats exactly what happened to us, we call them (wait for 20 mins) they insisted the signal was operating and we must be wrong (like how?!) after an hour or two signal reappears..it must be the standard NTL response.

As for your car radio, I dunno. LW is a bit hit and miss on most car radios, indeed most don't have it at all.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I wouldn't have the patience to ring them, but then again it was not that urgent. They responded very promptly to my email correspondence.

That is an extraordinary corporate culture. I remember I was getting sudden "explosive" noises on my new TV. I rang Philips and they told me that it was a problem with NTL's signal "spiking", but they said that NTL were denying it. The problems has since been solved.

Brendan

• Advertisement

The Radio 4 reception is gone bad again. All the other stations are crystal clear.

NTL is insisting that there is no problem. Could someone else listen to it and let me know what they think. How does it compare with say BBC Radio 3?

I am only interested in the reception for NTL cable customers.

Brendan

Advertisement