Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Inappropriate Speed limits?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Good point Magpie, I think i will be following you shortly (so to speak).

This forum seems to be more for bitching than actually doing

I do hope someone proves me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's good to discuss issues here but it won't make any changes to inappropriate speed limits.

We need to vent our frustration to the appropriate people, i.e. Mr. Boland of Kildare Co Council.
    I will be emailing him.

I agree that the N7 speed limit of 60kph is generally wrong.

60kph alongside the actual roadworks is correct and makes sense.
    But having it at 60kph so far before and after the actual raodworks only serves to frustrate drivers and will lead many ignore the limit when they should really be heeding it (i.e. alongside the roads works) !

Also, why is it 60kph on the south-bond carraigeway where there are NO roadworks ?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Silvera wrote:
    It's good to discuss issues here but it won't make any changes to inappropriate speed limits.

We need to vent our frustration to the appropriate people, i.e. Mr. Boland of Kildare Co Council.
    I will be emailing him.

I agree that the N7 speed limit of 60kph is generally wrong.

60kph alongside the actual roadworks is correct and makes sense.
    But having it at 60kph so far before and after the actual raodworks only serves to frustrate drivers and will lead many ignore the limit when they should really be heeding it (i.e. alongside the roads works) !

Also, why is it 60kph on the south-bond carraigeway where there are NO roadworks ?!!

Because the entire section of road will be subject to roadworks. Furthermore, Irish drivers have a habit of slowing down to long at things .... "look at that JCB is that like Mickey Murphys" and before you know it pile up. It only takes a guy with his hazards on looking under his bonnet to slow traffic on the M50. It's a safety issue and a damn good decision too.
    Magpie wrote:
    Unfortunately a large number of people, including many on boards, accept the government mantras at face value, repeat them back to you ad nauseam any time you attempt to enter into a rational discussion about it and content themselves with reminding you that 'you chose to break the law' rather than discussing the glaringly obvious problems with the law and how it is enforced in the first place

It's not about accepting anything on face value and I agree with you traffic enforcement needs to be more consistent. However, must peoples objections to speed limits are based on their inability to heed them and the possibility being caught.
    edmund f wrote:
    in Ireland seems to be of the 'quick fix' variety. The Government and the stupid cops seems happy to blind the Irish public with propaganda

'young male drivers kill'

'speed kills'

Unfortunately, both of those are facts no matter what way you look at it.

As regards the N7, the roadworks are clearly underway and as for the poster who hasn't seen a worker around the new flyover for the outer ring road I suggest you open your eyes while driving.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BrianD wrote:
    However, must peoples objections to speed limits are based on their inability to heed them and the possibility being caught.
    I think it is also based on the fact that people often feel they can ignore speed limits as there is no sensible consistency to them. Many speed limits appear to have been chosen by a blindfolded monkey with little thought into the environment in which they apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

BrianD wrote:
    Unfortunately, both of those are facts no matter what way you look at it.
    Young male drivers kill?? I dont, do you? Speed Kills?? Bollox - bad driving and mistakes do.
    You are typical of the brainwashed public which will swallow any brick the govt hands them. (I particularly love the harassment of males - wonder what would happen if the slogan read '**** Kill!' - answer: it'd be pulled cos its blatantly wrong to stereotype... but then its only ok to pick on males innit?!?!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

kbannon wrote:
    I think it is also based on the fact that people often feel they can ignore speed limits as there is no sensible consistency to them. Many speed limits appear to have been chosen by a blindfolded monkey with little thought into the environment in which they apply
    This is probably the best analysis of the way speed limits are set that I've ever heard. :D (Wish it was only a joke though....)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Boggle wrote:
    (Wish it was only a joke though....)

if there ever was a summary of irish road legislation and enforcement..

If speed kills, and can be shown to be a root cause of fatilities, why are we even allowed drive?.

Speed means that the accidents caused by bad driving, in my opinion , caused by total lack of any sort of decent training means the accidents unfortunatly tend to be much more often fatal than not.

All these laws are doing are forcing people who wish to 'speed' onto roads where there is no enforcement. These tend to be much more dangrous roads, and i assume you can draw your own conclusion between what happens driving at 120km/h on a country road to driving at 120km/hr on a dual carraigeway

the problem seems to be that the speed limits do not reflect the safe limit of the road, if the driver is trained to any reasonable standard. They are the safe limit of the road driven by poorly trained drivers.

you could deduce from that, anyone who agrees with the limits of 60km/hr on the N4 and any other limitless number of examples need to learn how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

you could deduce from that, anyone who agrees with the limits of 60km/hr on the N4 and any other limitless number of examples need to learn how to drive.
    Well, I would tend to agree with the 37 mph limit on the N4 in Lucan (assuming that that is the stretch you are referring to) The reason this apparently low limit is needed is because of bad road design and bad/corrupt planning.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

BrianD wrote:
    Because the entire section of road will be subject to roadworks. Furthermore, Irish drivers have a habit of slowing down to long at things .... "look at that JCB is that like Mickey Murphys" and before you know it pile up. It only takes a guy with his hazards on looking under his bonnet to slow traffic on the M50. It's a safety issue and a damn good decision too.

There are currently NO roadworks taking place on the south-bound carraigeway (as of yesterday). Therefore, the 60kph limit does nothing only frustrate drivers. (I say this as somebody who stays within speed limits as a rule).

I also believe the 60kph limit - northbound - should only apply for c.1km each side of the actual roadworks (and alongside the works ofcourse).

Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The 60km/h limit posted has no legal effect as it was put there without a vaild traffic order. Read your road traffic act 2004.

• Advertisement
Advertisement