Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last nights Holdem Only cash game...

Options
  • 21-01-2005 2:04pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Formed about midnight and I could only stay until about 1:30 but it was a fun table with Marq, Oscar, Lafortezza, BigDragon and myself having a bit of fun.
    (along with me not knowing that Eoin's surname is O'Dea and asking if his father (Donnacha) plays poker!)

How did it go once I'd buggered off? I would have liked to stay but I have handed in my notice and kinda didnt want to be late (again!) today. Which I was anyway. I lost 120 before bouncing back to 80 up so I was happy.

Oscar and I got into one big hand when it was raised (by oscar) reraise by someone else and then rereraise by me with AK (suited I think). Oscar goes all in, the second raiser folds (AQ he told me, before the flop) and I call.

Board comes down AKJ, turn is an A and the river is a King! If the final King had been a Jack, it would have been the bad beat!

Its been too long since we had a Boards Holdem Only table, we should do it again next week from early!

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

As much fun as it was to play against the lads last night I don't think I'll be playing it again, at least not with more than €50 at stake. The table last night was just too tough and that along with the fact that I was pretty card-dead for most of the night, I think I'll be sticking to the hE/yamaha tables from now on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If ye want to play cash game holdem then play limit and use all that maths stuff we never hear the end of. If ye want to win cash play Omaha.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lafortezza wrote:
    As much fun as it was to play against the lads last night I don't think I'll be playing it again, at least not with more than €50 at stake. The table last night was just too tough and that along with the fact that I was pretty card-dead for most of the night, I think I'll be sticking to the hE/yamaha tables from now on.
    This isnt because I blew you a raspberry during a hand to induce a call is it? :p;)

As tough as that table was last night (it could have been tougher mind, through in JP, Charlie and Hector instead of the A3o monkeys and THEN you have a cash table from hell!) I preferred playing at it because with the exception of the A3 lads (who admittedly paid people off too) everyone had some logic behind their plays and there was some good poker being played (not least of which was from Eoin who just seemed rock-solid last night... anyone else get that vibe from him?).

Its true that it was probably hard to make much cash without hitting monster cards but it was a very enjoyable game!

I find it hard to cover the swings of Pot-Limit Bingo as most of the money I make from poker gets eaten by my real life costs and so I never have a big enough tank to fling 150 euro at a flush draw for example. People like Bertie can simply lean on me financially (and I've noticed he does). Hence my tactic of tripling up and buggering off. Once I have 3-400 in front of me they can apply enourmous pressure for drawing hands even when the call is +ev because I just dont want to gamble that much on (say) a flush draw. Longterm it might be the winning play but short term can hurt. That probably means I'm playing above my comfort-zone financially but since I seem to be profitable at those tables, I dont mind.

DeV.

ps: Limit is for people who find accountancy too exciting. As much as I like all the maths etc, theres the adrenalin junkie in me to feed and since I've found trees to be really fookin nasty, this is a far easier "hit" for me to get. :)

DeVore wrote:
    I find it hard to cover the swings of Pot-Limit Bingo
    That's the thing about PL Omaha in the Fitz, if you bide your time, only play what you know to be good starting Omaha hands, then when you get a good flop you'll make money.
    The 4 or 5 times I've played the cash games in the Fitz properly I've had mostly winning evenings. I've made barely any profit of Hold'em, there's just not enough action.

You'll get a raise preflop, 2 callers, flop comes K high, orig raiser bets the pot and the other 2 fold. A NL hold'em game with a max buy-in would be interesting.

With Omaha as long as you don't start calling those €5-€10 preflop raises (to get value in the pot) with crap starting hands, you can wait and wait and wait. One big Yamaha hand will triple the €100 you sit down with.

But I'm really just bitter Big Dragon cracked my KK :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd be in favour of a 50-euro cap on the HE-Only game, at least for a try out for one night.

DeV.

• Advertisement

That brings in the problem with the rake, the pots are getting up to €4 taken out of them and their not that big.
    A buy-in cap would make the rake even stiffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

a buy in cap would have to be set at at least 100, if not more.

Advertisement