Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating / Intel Active Monitor

Options
  • 21-01-2005 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if the Intel Active Monitor is reliable?

Whenever i come out of games and check it, i dont like what i see.

Processor Zone is in 70's
    System Zone 1, 2 in the 50's.

It shows system fan 1 going at 3500 rpm - does it go higher and how do you change it?

Whats the best way to keep the temps down ( least expensive way too )

Theres 1 fan in the back of the case and 1 i put in myself in the front, will more fans work or should I splash out on some sort of other cooling device? And what would be the best one to get? (I'm using the bog standard heatsink+fan that came with processor(pf 2.8 w/ht)).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It should be reliable. Just to be sure download mother board monitor 5 and see what that says. Does the processor reach the 70's idle or under heavy load? If you want to see how high it goes under load download prime 95 and run the second torture test for about 15 mins to reach maximum heat.

If it's a Prescott ideally you want to be keeping the load temp under 65c. I'd say the cheapest thing you could do is buy a tube of artic silver 5 and re-seat the heatsink. That should drop about 5c, maybe more. A couple of extra case fans migh help drop it a couple of degrees more as well.

If you want a bigger drop in temps get yourself a decent heatsink like the thermalright xp-90 or the zalman 7000cu with artic silver 5.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Processor is about 50-60 idle, then 70 or so during/just after a gaming session.

Is there any immediate danger of having the processor in the 70's?

(not sure if its a prescott or not)

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

the intels just slow down under high temps, there wont be any lasting damage at 70, whereas with amd you run the risk of damaging the cpu with high temps, 70 is pretty high, you dont want it going more than 60 under load, so as bb said download a second heat monitor to double check, make sure the airfow in the case is going in the one direction, ie in the front out the back, clean dust of all fans including the cpu fan, remove the heatsink and clean any dust off it, as bb said get artic silver thermal paste and put it back together, and finally make sure you haven't it overclocked too much my 2.8 is at 3.09 (10%) and its grand

and btw it would be a prescott 2.8 hyperthreaded

Advertisement