Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Open

• 21-01-2005 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Whats the story, Johnnie Higgins goes out again in the early stages of a tournament, and blows my 4 man accumulator bet to boot,

Who are we all looking at to win this event? Ronnie as always looks solid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As usual I'm up for the Irish so as long as Ken remains in it I'm happy. I have BBC Wales so saw a few frames of the Higgins match, Robertson was on fire and would have beat most players yesterday. He got back to 4-4 from 4-1 down against Ronnie today only to get beaten in the final frame 70-42.

Day looked good and full of confidence with all his friends and family in the crowd. He was potting most balls but the tension was causing him to play woeful position on most.

I can't see Doherty beating Hendry later but he has a decent record against him and Hendry plays to Ken's strenghts. Unfortunately I won't get to see the game as BBC's schedule is weird. Its on from 1.30-5.30 every day and then an hour highlights at midnight, they only show the afternoon highlights on that show though. Because of this I don't think Ken has been on TV once yet. :) I read this quote in a preview of the Doherty Hendry game and I thought it was from Doherty. Unfortunately its not.:(

“I don’t mean to be disparaging to anyone but I was getting sick of losing to people I know I should beat,”

“After that I had four days off, then got straight back into it and I’ve been practising hard all over Christmas.

“For the last few years I’ve been lazy. I’ve been going down the club to play but I’ve not been putting the right type of work in. I realise that now, so I’ve decided to work harder and give it a go again.

“If you’ve got any aspirations to win things you’ve got to graft. It’s as simple as that, but even then there’s no guarantee that you’re going to do well.”

The first semi final is confirmed, Ronnie v Hawkings. Day is drawing 2-2 with King in the quarter's and Ken plays later.

Ken lost 5-2. BBC didn't show either of the 2 frames Doherty won in the highlights, they showed 3 frames and I didn't see Hendry miss a shot. 3 century's in the match. Ken missed an easy Brown when he was 2-1 down and would have went on to win the frame. Going into the interval at 2-2 would have made some diffference. If Hendry was better odds (3/2) I'd put him on to win the tournament but I'll leave it as a prediction. :)

Ronnie beat Hendry 9-8 in the final, O'Sullivan was 7-5 down at one stage.

Advertisement