Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC restarting since win2000 sevice pack 4 installed...

Options
  • 21-01-2005 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

I recently posted a message explaining how my machine keeps restarting itself since i upgraded the hard drive, here's the dilleo:

I got a new 250GB drive from Aldi and when I installed it and windows it seemed to be going fine, until I installed service pack 4 for windows 2000, from that point it started going a bit funny, then when I installed directX 9 the PC randomly resets itself, now it was suggested by some helpful folks here in the boards that it's most likely a PSU issue (it's not powerful enough) and in fairness that would explain it but what I can't fugure out is how come it only seems to start happening after I install SP4? my system setup is as follows:

250GB western digital HDD
    Samsung writemaster DVD-RW/CD-RW
    Gigabyte mainboard (can't remeber model)
    Pentium III 800MHz CPU
    Tevion TV card (Aldi special)
    USB PCI card (4 port)
    Realtek network card
    USB ADSL modem (the generic crappy one that EsatBT give ye)
    Sound blaster 4.1 card
    I think the power supply is 200 watt, not certain though

Has anyone come across this before? what makes no sense to me is that how come the new HDD could use so much power? I used to have 2 seperate 8GB drives along with a CD-RW and I never had an issue with power so how come now with the 250GB drive and DVD-RW there's not enough power? can they really use that much more power?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Tried another psu? Could be too weak for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Hi TacT,

Just got a new PSU yesterday (annoyed cos i was gonna get a 400W so there could be no doubt, but sadly i could only find 300W ones)

anyway, i rigged the whole thing up and still the machine restarts randomly, AVG anti-virus is constantly telling me that the Win32/dllcache folder is infected with the @core exception (then some memory address) virus, now the thing is that when i try to heal/move/delete these files then it refuses to do so, and what's stranger is that when i run an entire system scan with AVG then no viruses are detected so i assume its some kinda TSR virus or something?? anyone?

I've installed symantec 2004 internet security suite and updated the bejaysus outta it, and it doesnt even detect any viruses, also tried, panda platinum, avast (avast ran a scan on bootup on all local drives, and didnt detect a thing) and kaspersky, all to no avail.

This is higly annoying as ive tried using the 200GB drive as a secondary along with my old HDDs set as primary and there have been no restarts whatsoever, which would surely disprove the power supply theory? I mean how could there not be enough power to run a machine with one HDD and a DVDRW and yet it can run the same machine with 3 HDDs and a DVDRW.

The only solution seems to be a totally fresh install of win2000, or XP (not too keen on XP as the machine is only a PIII 800, so dunno how well it'll handle it) along with Fdisking the partitions (would that remove any boot sector viruses? i mean is the boot sector unique to the physical hard drive OR to each logical partition created on the physical hard drive?)

Anyway, that was a fair auld rant i went on there! any help or guidance would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

Al

Advertisement